One of the best things about parenting is the story times. It’s not just the snuggles that make it great, or the treasured routine between parent and child. It’s also the books.
Some of the best books in the world are written for kids. Picture books are often works of art, sneakily tucked between the mass-produced cartoon serials on the shelf. Young adult books tackle big themes in fresh ways, with great stories. Children’s literature from Alice in Wonderland up through Harry Potter offers us some of the best escapism ever committed to the page.
Young adult books are what I read when I go to bed; they’re the paperbacks stacked next to my headboard for those quiet hours of simple escape. Because they are a great escape, especially the ones set in fantastic worlds or imaginary times. When I want an intellectual challenge, I visit my library or bookstore. But when I just want to get away from my own mind for awhile, I raid my kids’ bookshelf.
Whether they’ve just graduated from Dr. Seuss or are deep into the Vampire Diaries, your kids have books you want. Here are six titles to steal off their shelves – or add to them – today.
- Schooled – Gordon Korman – a funny look at what happens when a hippie homeschooler gets thrust into a public middle school.
- The Charlie Bone Serries – Jenny Nimmo – So what is this is a bit of a Harry Potter knock off? It’s a great read, and an engaging set of characters and stories.
- Ella Enchanted – Gail Levine – A lush retelling of a classic fairy tale, fun for moms and daughters alike.
- The Fairy Tale Detectives – Michael Buckley – Girls become detectives, solving mysteries for fairy tale creatures. Does it get better than this?
- Into the Wild – Sarah Beth Durst – In this fairy tale gone awry, a young girl has to save her mother and friends from The Wild, the home of all things fairy tale.
- Tithe – Holly Black – A darker fairy tale for an older audience, perfect for the Twilight fan in your life.
What children’s and young adult books are you reading and loving?
Photo: Joe Shlabotnik