Fat Heroes Rule! Artist Hilariously Reimagines 4 Superheroes with Supersized AppetitesMeredith Carroll
You know how there are always those stories of little girls weeping because there isn’t a princess who looks like them? That they wish they had a heroine to admire who also doesn’t have crystal-blue eyes, long, golden hair and a 19-inch waist?
Perhaps it stands to reason, then, that there are also little boys who feel like the cheese standing alone because they don’t have rippling muscles, thick, wavy hair and the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
And maybe, just maybe, there are some portly people who resent that the people often characterized as the ones heroically saving the world have BMIs in the single digits and can actually fit into the Gap’s skinny jeans.
For the first group, alternative princesses have been slowly emerging from animators in film, on TV and online. For the second group, there’s Seth Rogen. And for the latter, there’s Mexican artist Carlos Dattoli, who re-imagined Superman, Batman, Robin and Flash Gordon in his Fat Heroes series as much of the world sees the United States: obese. But, you know, in a really funny way, not an I-hope-they-have-an-adequate-life-insurance-policy-for-their-wife-and-kid-because-they-will-die-young-of-a-heart-attack-if-they-don’t-lose-some-weight kind of way.
Take a look:[collection type=’slideshow’ style=’classic’]
All images used with permission from Carlos Dattoli
More from Meredith on Babble:
- Gruff Dad Makes Sweet Music for the World’s Bravest—and Sickest—Kids, Including His Daughter
- Child’s Play All Grown Up! Artist Creates Masterful Dioramas with Toilet Paper Rolls (PHOTOS)
- Cabbage Patch Wigs: For Everyone Who Feels the 1980s Came and Went Far Too Soon (PHOTOS)
- Toy Story vs. The Shining: The Mash-Up That Will Give You Heartwarming Nightmares (PHOTOS)
- Fake It ‘Til You Make It: Artist Mixes Total Strangers to Construct Family Portraits (PHOTOS)
- Daydreamers: Photographer Captures the Sparkle of People Envisioning Happiness (PHOTOS)
- 25 Photos Proving Your Parents Were Awesome — You Know, Before YOU Came Along
- Eek! Photographer Uses His Own Kids to Bring 10 Childhood Nightmares to Life