From Baby to Big Kid: 10 Car Seat Safety Tips and a Britax GiveawayStephanie Precourt
On the go more than ever, parents are traveling with the most precious cargo- their kids. It’s important to stay up to date and aware that your child’s car seat is the right fit for their age and stage of development.
Everyone’s favorite deal site Totsy has joined with The Car Seat Lady to spread the word about life-saving tips to raise awareness on riding safely in cars with kids, ensuring your child is as secure as possible. And they are also teaming up with Britax, the innovator in enhancing the safety of car seats to offer winner’s choice of a Britax car seat to one reader here!
Top Ten Car Seat Safety Tips:
1. Use a safety restraint every time your child is riding in a car, no matter how short the drive.
2. Be a good driver. Be alert, don’t text, and don’t talk on your cell phone.
3. Use your child’s car seat properly and be sure it is the right fit for your child’s age and weight.
4. Install your child’s car seat in the center if possible. With more than one kid, put the older child in the center as they are typically less protected than the baby.
5. Be sure harness and chest clips are snug and in the proper position, and that the car seat is not loosely fastened to the car.
6. Know when to change seats. The progression should be: rear-facing until at least age two, forward-facing, booster, seat belt, and then front seat. Your toddler is too big for rear-facing when their head is one inch or less of the convertible car seat top or at the weight limit, which is 35-40 pounds for most seats.
7. Use a tether when forward-facing. Tethers decrease how far your child’s head will move forward in a crash by 6-8 inches.
8. Use a five-point harness until your child is at least four years old, no less than 40 pounds, and mature enough to sit still in a booster.
9. Don’t skip the booster seat stage. Booster seats keep the lap belt properly positioned on a child’s strong hip bones, not on their abdomen where it can cause internal injuries in a crash.
10. Your child is ready to ride without a booster around age 10 or when they can sit all the way back against the auto seat with knees bent comfortably, seat belt crosses the shoulder between neck and arm, lap belt is as low as possible and touching the thighs, and will stay in position the entire ride.
Enter to win a car seat of your choice (specific to your child’s age, weight, and your color preference) by visiting Britax and leaving a comment telling us which car seat you’d choose.
Extra entries (leave an additional comment for each entry):
- Like this post on Facebook (like button at the top of post)
Giveaway ends Friday, September 30th at 11:59pm CST. The winner will be chosen at random, announced on this post, and notified by email. US entries only, 18 and over, void where prohibted by law.
Contest has ended. Congrats to Anna- an email has been sent about choosing your prize.