Happy 40th Birthday to the Cell Phone!Molly Thornberg
This day, 40 years ago – a man by the name of Martin Cooper, a Motorola engineer and executive, made the first mobile telephone call. The prototype phone that he used weighed 2.5 lbs (the iPhone 5 weighs 3.95 ounces), was 10 inches long and 1.75 inches deep (the iPhone 5 is 4 inches long). His phone offered just 20 minutes of talk time and took 10 hours to re-charge. (The iPhone 5 offers up to 8 hours of usage and takes approximately 3-4 hours to re-charge.)
If you think your iPhone 5 was pricey, did you know the first cell phone available to the public rang in at $3,995?
Wow, what a 40 years it has been for the cell phone. Check out the history of the cell phone:
infogram source: Mashable
Molly blogs technology, parenting and geekery at Digital Mom Blog.
- 15 Easter Basket Goodies That Don’t Include Candy
- 7 Robots That Can Help You Around the House
- 10 Tips for Work at Home Moms
- How to Throw a Low Stress – Last Minute Birthday Party
- How to Throw a Birthday Party for Under $125