Hipsters in Stone: Artist Humorously Dresses Classic Sculptures as Williamsburg Wannabes (PHOTOS)Meredith Carroll
The Musée du Louvre in Paris is known for many things, but being trendy in a Brooklyn/skinny jeans/ironic rooftop garden/craft cocktail kind of way is not among them.
However, that didn’t stop French photographer Léo Caillard, 28, from imagining the 220-year-old museum in a more modern fashion.
At the risk of being NSFW, Cailliard and art director Alexis Persani took some of the most iconic nude statues on display there and updated them with a little Williamsburg flair — think Ray Bans, cropped pants and flannel shirts.
The statues were photographed by Caillard as is, and then with the help of friends posed exactly the same way as models, Persani worked his magic to make the Greek Agora works of art appear as if they were actually ready to go out to an Arctic Monkeys show. While the statues themselves actually remained untouched, they take on a whole new meaning anyway while appearing to be dressed for a shift at the co-op.
Take a look at Hipsters in Stone and see if you don’t think of the classic sculptures — as well as hipsters — in a whole new light:
Street Stone 1 of 10
Photos by LÃ©o Caillard
Michel de Montaigne 2 of 10
"Who is to say that the figures presented in the stone of Greek Agora were not the greatest representation of the human form known at that time," writes LÃ©o Caillard.
Le Faune Barberini 3 of 10
"The statues, with their clothes stripped away reveal a magnificence of shape & balance."
Aristaeus 4 of 10
"But what were the Greeks wearing when they weren't posing for sculptors?"
Christ Pilon 5 of 10
"Appearance, in all its many nuances, present the character."
Meleagre 6 of 10
"'Clothes maketh the man,' as William Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet."
Titan 7 of 10
"One's dress sense indicates one's priorities, choices, lifestyle."
Greek Agora 1 8 of 10
"Are you 'in' or are you 'out'? Hipster or classic? Which tribe are you a member of?"
Greek Agora 2 9 of 10
"Which tribe are we the men posing for these statues from?"
Greek Agora 3 10 of 10
"Hipsters in Stone presents a twist on these themes...taking the ultimate from the classic world and adding a modern, contemporary twist with cropped pants, Ray Bans, plaid shirts and the icon becomes iconic."
All photos used with permission from Léo Caillard
More from Meredith on Babble:
- Soulumination Documents the Priceless Yet Fleeting Joy of Families with Terminally Ill Children (PHOTOS)
- Hilarious! Museum of Bad Art Gives Your Kid’s Artwork a Run for Its (Ugly) Money (PHOTOS)
- 10 Photos of Kids Whose Parents are Obviously Doing at Least 1 Thing Right
- When Dad Doesn’t Know Best: 10 Hilariously Awkward Father’s Day Photos
- 12 Pieces of Graduation Advice to Guide Kids Through It All
- Artist Merrily Morphs Her Dad Into the Superhero She’s Always Believed Him to Be (PHOTOS)
- Breast Milk-Flavored Lollipops Plus 9 Other ‘Treats’ That are All Sorts of Wrong
- 10 Things Happy Moms Do Differently