With Halloween coming so quickly and many of our children looking forward to the activities that go along with it, we have to remember some of the safety tips, and rules that go along with making our Halloween the safest we possibly can for our children.
Halloween this year is also being celebrated on a weekend, so we need to be aware and conscious of adults also out having a good time, and possibly partying.
Some great and easy tips to keep yourself and children safe include :
- Encourage your children to pick out a light colored costume. If that is not a possibility, include reflective material, glow sticks, lights, or something that will help them to be more viable to drivers.
- Know the area you are going to be trick or treating in. Stay in your own area, or an area where you know the neighbors, or people you will be visiting along the way.
- If your child is using a mask in their costume, make sure it allows them to use their peripheral vision.
- If you set jack-o-lanterns out on your porch, make sure they are far enough out of the walking path that children do not run the risk of their costume catching fire.
- If your child has some kind of prop with their costume, make sure it is not something that will pose a danger or cause them harm if they are to trip or fall.
- Go trick or treating with your children, while they might not be happy that mom and dad want to tag along, in many cases it is your best bet while they are still to young to go out by themselves or with their friends.
- Go over the rules and warnings of stranger danger, and make sure they would never consider getting into a car with a stranger.
- Try and stay in well lit areas. Stay away from areas with no lights, or neighborhoods you are not familiar with.
- Make sure your children have dinner before they leave the house, you do not want them hungry and wanting to pick at the candy before they get back from trick or treating.
All great and easy ways to help keep our children safe this Halloween season!