Top 5 Worst Kids Halloween Costumespaulabernstein
Halloween is more than six weeks away, but if your kids are anything like mine, they’re already talking about what they want to dress up as for Halloween. My 8-year-old daughter can’t decide between Hermione and Hannah Montana while my 5-year-old wants to dress up as either Tinkerbell or a Zhu Zhu pet.
I guess I should be relieved that they’re not interested in dressing as a pirate wench.
In an essay in The Huffington Post, Joel Schwarzberg writes about how some Halloween costumes are inappropriate for kids. In particular, he’s disturbed by gory costumes inspired by horror movies such as “Friday the 13th,” “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” and “Halloween.” But there are others that are even worse.
“When I went online to find kids’ costumes, I found life-like swords and machetes, clear masks that filled up with blood, and a wide range of disembodied heads and severed limbs,” writes Schwartzberg.
Meanwhile, over at MomFinds, they found some costumes that are “just wrong on kids.” For instance, “you should probably pass on that pimp costume for your son and that Jesus ensemble, we’d save that for the Christmas play.”
Inspired by MomFinds’ picks and Schwarzberg’s column, I’ve come up with my own list of the Top Five Worst Kids Halloween Costumes:
1. French Maid – Maybe it’s cute for adults at a costume party, but not for the kiddie set.
2. Gangster Rapsta – Yes, they sell these — complete with bling bling and all.
3. Prison inmate – Do you really want to see what your kid would look like in prison stripes?
4. Rabbi/Priest – Yes, they come in infant sizes.
5. Hooker/Pimp – Why would they sell these costumes for little ones anyway?
Would you let your kid dress up as any of the above? What’s the most offensive, inappropriate Halloween costume you’ve seen?
Looking for more classic and less controversy? Try these cute and easy Halloween costumes!