Kids - Put Mom Behind the WheelBethany Sanders
According to a survey of 1,279 five to 16-year-olds in the UK, kids are happier when Mom drives.
The survey, which painted dads as impatient and reckless and moms as competent and chatty, was performed by GEM, a motorist assistance company — sort of like the U.S. version of AAA. Read the rest of the results and tell us if you agree:
- Over half of kids reported being happier and calmer when mom is driving.
- A whopping 83 percent of kids says lead-footed dad drives too fast, while two-thirds complained that he weaves in and out of traffic and drives too aggressively.
- Half of kids said Dad shouts at other drivers, and that makes over a third of kids polled nervous.
- Mom sings in the car, said70 percent of kids, and also never. stops. talking, according to 52 percent of little passengers.
- Mom also stinks at parallel parking, say children, and she isn’t so handy with a clutch.
This survey is pretty unfair to dads My husband drives whenever we’re together because he likes to drive, and because he doesn’t like the constant shuffling of drinks, snacks, books, toys, and personal DVD players that goes on from the passenger seat to the back seat during long trips. He’s better on slick and icy roads, I’m better with a map. Swerving, swearing, and yelling? Rarely. And our kids don’t seem to notice or care who’s driving as long as Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs is cued up and ready to play.
Also, I can to parallel park.
Driving isn’t an issue in our house, but I know that it can be in some families. What do you think about this survey?
Flickr: joefutrelle, Flickr