Kourtney Kardashian's Baby Has Allergic Reaction to Peanut ButterJohn Cave Osborne
The Kardashian clan had quite a scare last Friday. And no, it didn’t have anything to do with a video-taped, romantic encounter. But it did have to do with the byproduct of what sometimes results from such escapades — a baby. Kourtney Kardashian’s baby, Mason.
He was rushed to the rushed to the hospital with a severe allergic reaction after eating peanut butter.
People Magazine reported the story on Monday. But anyone who follows Kourtney’s blog (which, um, I don’t) could have read the news directly from the glamourous star, herself. She told her readers all about the scare:
“He threw up within minutes of tasting it and got hives on his face. I called 911 and the fire department came immediately. They suggested that we take him to the hospital… He was in good spirits the whole time and didn’t even know anything was wrong. He even enjoyed riding in the ambulance. He’s such a good boy… I learned such a lesson with this … to always follow my instincts and call 911.”
“W” stands for wow. Now folks, by no means do I consider myself an expert in all things baby. In fact, on the day my kids were born, I knew more about Dr. Dre than I did Dr. Spock. But even I knew that peanut butter was a no-no. The Stir, who also posted this story, points out that “while the American Academy of Pediatrics has changed its stance on when you can introduce peanut butter due to allergies, it’s still considered a choking hazard well into toddler-hood.” And that’s where I am with it. Now, maybe I’m being too hard on Kourtney, but if it’s difficult for an adult to swallow, wouldn’t it stand to reason that it’d be pretty tough for an infant to swallow?
But my problem with the episode isn’t that Kourtney gave her baby some peanut butter. It’s that Kourtney was allowed to have a baby in the first place. (Sorry. Kidding.) No, my problem is actually the way the second-fiddle Kardashian made light of such a serious situation. Personally? I wouldn’t have blogged about the mishap to begin with, but if I had, I would have gone about it much differently than Kourtney did.
She tried to downplay the blunder by telling her readers that her hive-covered boy was in “good spirits” and “didn’t even know anything was wrong.” She even positioned the ordeal as a fun and educational experience for Mason who “enjoyed riding the ambulance.”
That’s awesome! Did he get to press the siren button? Did you get any pics?
Sorry, Kourtney, but his ignorance doesn’t belittle yours. That said, Kourtney saved her best for last because the most astonishing display of ignorance comes in the very last line quoted. “I learned such a lesson with this … to always follow my instincts and call 911.”
Gee, Kourtney. I’m glad you trusted your hunch that a child breaking out in hives and hurling on the hardwood did, indeed, warrant you rocking a 911 on the cellie and all, but if your biggest takeaway was that your instincts are bang-on? I don’t know. Color me conservative, but my biggest takeaway probably would have been to never again give my infant son peanut butter followed up by a “thank God he’s okay.”
I’m not saying I’ve never made a parenting mistake. But I am saying the blunders I’ve made are ones I take very seriously. If anything, I’m probably too hard on myself for such situations. Kourtney? Not so much.
She seems more concerned about telling her readers that Mason was such a good boy in the face of mothering that was anything but. What do you think?
MORE FROM STROLLERDERBY:
I Won’t Let My Kids Pee In Public. Unless…
Dunkin’ Donuts and Pregnancy Tests
Cam Newton, His Father and His Fate
Mom’s Heart Stops for 20 Minutes—Lives to Tell About It
High School Coach Suspended for Allegedly Whipping Three Players