Memorial Day Activities For KidsSierra Black
Ready to have fun with your kids? Here’s what the cool kids are up to this weekend.
From picnics to splashing at the beach, there’s no shortage of creative twists on traditional summer fun. There are so many birthday parties, BBQs, and potlucks going on in my world this long weekend that we’re going to need a vacation by the time Tuesday rolls into town.
Still on the lookout for Memorial Day fun? Here are some creative ideas to keep the kids happy:
- Take a hike. Everyone will be outdoors this weekend, but if you’ve had enough of crowds, you can skip the parade routes and head for less-beaten paths. The Handbook of Nature Study offers some excellent outdoor activities for kids to get better acquainted with Mother Nature.
- For the homeschooling set or simple history buffs, there’s also plenty to learn about Memorial Day. Here’s a page of resources for learning about the meaning and history of Memorial Day, with lots of great books and craft ideas.
- Do you have family history you want to remember this weekend? Creating a multi-generational photo collage with your kids is a great opportunity to share family stories. When you’re finished, you can frame it and either display it proudly in your home or pass it on as a gift. Hot tip: grandparents love these.
- On a lighter note, for a lot of people Memorial Day weekend is the time to break out the BBQ for the summer. Themed cupcakes might be the cutest BBQ dessert ever. Looking at these made me smile, and they’d be pure magic for my kids.
- This is also the weekend to hit the beach or kick off camping season. But since everybody’s out playing, expect crowds. To avoid them hit your favorite spots at off-peak hours or choose a less-popular destination.
Whatever you do, have fun! Slather on your sunscreen and bug spray then get out and enjoy the sunshine — ’cause summer is here.
Photo: Sister 72