I discovered the joys of eating raw cookie dough in high school. My friends and I would make a run to the 7-Eleven before after-school rehearsals started for the latest play, get a tube of the stuff and sit against the lockers and snarf it up. We had no idea E. coli bacteria could be lurking inside our delicious snack.
Now the medical community is saying NO to cookie dough. Cue the violins, sad friends. A new report on the E. coli outbreak of 2009, during which people were sickened after eating raw cookie dough, finds raw flour may have been to blame. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has announced that, regardless of which ingredient caused 77 people to become ill, ready-to-bake cookie dough isn’t safe to eat if it hasn’t been cooked as directed.
In an interview with MSNBC, the report’s lead author Dr. Karen Neil of the CDC said, “What our report shows is that you shouldn’t eat cookie dough raw, no matter where it comes from.” If you have cookies to bake, bake them you must. Massive bummer.
Take heart, though. You can still get your cookie dough fix from cookie dough ice cream, which is consider safer because it’s formulated to be eaten in raw form.
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons/Nick Ares