Categories

Panel Suggests How the $7.7M Raised For Families of the Newtown Victims Will Be Divided

Sandy_Hook_1_20121217114929_640_480It’s been more than six months since the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

Now, family members of those affected are about to see some of the money raised on their behalf. But the decision of a panel on how to split the $11.4M raised on their behalf hasn’t come without controversy.

As Yahoo reports, a community foundation was asked to divide up $11.4 million that was raised with the help of the United Way. The foundation previously decided that 70 percent will go to the victims ($7.7M) while the remaining 30 percent will be set aside for undefined community needs.

The panel has finally released preliminary recommendations on exactly how that $7.7. will be split. Families of the 26 children and educators killed in the Connecticut school shooting last year would receive $281,000 each. The families of 12 surviving children who witnessed the Dec. 14 shootings would each get $20,000; two teachers who were injured would get $150,000 between them.

The plan was released yesterday at Newtown’s Edmond Town Hall after the committee met privately with some family members. Some who attended the public meeting questioned the plan.

“Why isn’t all the money going to all the victims? The intent was to give the money to the victims. We’re starting from a false premise and this process is re-victimizing the victims,” said Caryn Kaufman, who represents a coalition of prior mass shooting victims. However, Jeffrey Dion, deputy executive director of the National Center for Victims of Crime, says it’s important to provide money to the 12 children who survived because it recognizes their lasting trauma and the fact that they are also victims.

The $7.7 million is expected to be paid out next month.

What do you think? Should all the money go to those who lost children or should those who were injured and witnessed the shooting also receive a portion of the money raised?

Image source: kfrh

Read more from Monica on Babble:

FacebookTwitterGoogle+TumblrPinterest
Tagged as: ,

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Learn More.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+TumblrPinterest