Poignant Social-Media Campaign Asks Everyone to Make 3 Wishes for Kids with Cancer (PHOTOS)Meredith Carroll
“Making the decision to have a child is momentous,” Elizabeth Stone said. “It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.”
For parents with children suffering from cancer, their hearts are walking around broken, and it seems difficult to imagine anything sadder and more terrifying.
Isabella Santos was diagnosed with Stage 4 neuroblastoma on October 4, 2007, when she was just 2. Neuroblastoma is a rare cancer of the sympathetic nervous system that affects young children and infants. The five-year survival rate is 30 percent, with 60 percent of survivors relapsing, at which time the survival rate drops down to 5 percent. Isabella’s battle came to an end on June 28, 2012.
Her parents started a foundation in her name — the Isabella Santos Foundation — in an effort to raise awareness for neuroblastoma and other pediatric cancers with the hope that “another child will be saved through funds raised in Isabella’s memory.”
A social-media campaign is currently underway in which the Isabella Santos Foundation is asking everyone is asked to take selfies of themselves saying what three wishes they want to put out in the world for kids with cancer — and then share it on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #ISF3Wishes.
The hope is that the wishes will help bring further awareness to pediatric cancers — and eradicate them for good by raising money to go towards research and cures. The Isabella Santos Foundation has raised over $350,000 in the past five years.
Here’s a sampling of some of the wishes people have put out there to date:
[collection type=’slideshow’ style=’classic’]
All images used with permission from the Isabella Santos Foundation
More from Meredith on Babble:
- Cabbage Patch Wigs: For Everyone Who Feels the 1980s Came and Went Far Too Soon (PHOTOS)
- Red, White and Awkward: 10 Fourth of July Photos with More Agita Than A Hot Dog-Eating Champion
- Toy Story vs. The Shining: The Mash-Up That Will Give You Heartwarming Nightmares (PHOTOS)
- Fake It ‘Til You Make It: Artist Mixes Total Strangers to Construct Family Portraits (PHOTOS)
- Daydreamers: Photographer Captures the Sparkle of People Envisioning Happiness (PHOTOS)