Power Out in New York City, Lower Manhattan Flooded, Babies Being Evacuated from NYU Hospitalcarolyncastiglia
11:54 pm: 250 patients left to be evacuated from NYU Hospital. Patients are going to Memorial Sloan-Kettering and one other hospital. – NY1
11:41 pm: Bellevue Hospital generator has less than one hour left. – Yeshiva World News/Twitter
I’m sitting here in Brooklyn trying to follow the news from all of my friends scattered around the five boroughs of New York City. I was laughing at first as the flood photos came into my feed, because I knew everyone was okay, but listening to NY1 as I type, I realize now people who stayed in their homes in Zone A are in trouble and I just heard that the backup generator at NYU hospital failed and babies are being evacuated by nurses. Additionally, the ConEd plant at 14th Street experienced an explosion earlier this evening. Here are some more details:
- The tide hit 14 feet in Battery Park tonight. – NY1
- 95 mile-an-hour winds left a crane hanging off a luxury high-rise in midtown Manhattan, according to CBS News.
- The facade fell off an apartment building on 8th Ave. and 14th Street.
- “The city shut all three of its airports, its subways, schools, stock exchanges, Broadway theaters and closed several bridges and tunnels throughout the day as the weather worsened.” – CBS News. Schools are shut tomorrow as well.
- There are several fires raging throughout the city right now. – NY1
- Subways could be out for days. – NY Daily News
- RE: NYU Hospital here are some Tweets:
- “NYU nurses in pediatric ICU manually bagging patients on ventilators, according to a staffer. City begins emergency evacuation.” – ReuvenBlau 10:56 pm
- “Fox 5 says “an armada of ambulances” are moving patients out of NYU Hospital. Reporter estimates “about 30″ ambulances.” – DailyIntel 10:48 pm