Stephen Colbert Gets Real in a Lovely Tribute to his Late MomMeredith Carroll
It’s not that I dislike Stephen Colbert. I just don’t always like his Bill O’Reilly schtick. It grates on me if I watch him night in, night out. Every once in a while? I enjoy it. I admire his timing, wit and the writing staff that, much like The Daily Show, seems to have an endless supply of the world’s best brains — and tireless interns logging every single minute of news show ever produced on cable TV. Too much of it, however, and I reach for the remote. There are those who’ll argue I’m missing out on some of the greatest satire ever, but my less satirical life goes on nonetheless.
What I really like about Stephen Colbert is when he gets real. It happens infrequently, and when it does, I really sit up and take notice.
Sadly, the last few times he’s gotten real have been about his mom, Lorna, who passed away last week at the age of 92. She was born in my hometown of Larchmont, New York, and had 11 kids with her husband, who, along with three of her sons, died in a plane crash.
“She knew more than her share of tragedy,” Colbert said at the beginning of his Wednesday night show after taking a week off to mourn her passing. “But her love for her family and her faith in God somehow gave her the strength not only to go on but to love life without bitterness and to instill in all of us a gratitude for every day we have together.”
“If you watch this show and you also like me, that’s because of my mom,” Colbert said last night.
I have no doubt the parts of him that I do like come from his mom.
Click here to watch his sweet, touching tribute to his mom.
Photo credit: Wikipedia
More from Meredith on Babble:
- Soulumination Documents the Priceless Yet Fleeting Joy of Families with Terminally Ill Children (PHOTOS)
- Hilarious! Museum of Bad Art Gives Your Kid’s Artwork a Run for Its (Ugly) Money (PHOTOS)
- 10 Photos of Kids Whose Parents are Obviously Doing at Least 1 Thing Right
- When Dad Doesn’t Know Best: 10 Hilariously Awkward Father’s Day Photos
- 12 Pieces of Graduation Advice to Guide Kids Through It All
- Artist Merrily Morphs Her Dad Into the Superhero She’s Always Believed Him to Be (PHOTOS)
- Breast Milk-Flavored Lollipops Plus 9 Other ‘Treats’ That are All Sorts of Wrong
- 10 Things Happy Moms Do Differently