The Numbers Don't Lie: Our Daughters Look Up to Pop Stars, Not Science Stars (VIDEO)Meredith Carroll
4,553,457 = the number of Twitter followers a top reality star has today
13,710,211 = the number of Twitter followers a top model has today
20,268,261 = the number of Twitter followers a top pop star has today
Guess how many Twitter followers a top scientist has today?
Watch this :30 video to find out, and let’s figure out ASAP what we can do about prioritizing the female role models in our daughters’ lives.
According to Dove:
– 72 percent of girls (ages 10-17) feel tremendous pressure to be beautiful
– Only 11 percent of girls (ages 10-17) are comfortable using the word beautiful to describe themselves
– When girls feel bad about their looks more than 60 percent globally (age 15 to 17) avoid normal daily activities such as attending school, going to the doctor, or even giving their opinion
– More than four million girls around the world do not have a role model
– 20 percent of girls cite media as a source of pressure to be beautiful
– Only four percent of girls look to world leaders or business leaders as role models
Do these stats bother you? If so, head on over to Facebook.com/Dove to see what they’re trying to do to shake things up a little for the benefit of our daughters.
Photo & video credit: YouTube