The PC Police Officially Jump the Shark, Suspend 12-Year-Old Boy for Toy Gun KeychainMeredith Carroll
Bring a real gun to school and get expelled. That’s what I say. Arrested, expelled, tarred and feathered. No excuse. Ever. Never. Books not bullets, I say.
Bring a toy gun to school and receive a warning. Whether it shoots marshmallows, BBs or water — with what’s gone on with mass school shootings since Columbine in 1999, no one needs to see anything resembling a real gun out of the corner of their eye and fear for their life even for a second. No game is worth it. Especially not in school.
Beyond that, however, we all just need to chill.
Joseph Lyssikatos, 12, was suspended from the Alan Shawn Feinstein Middle School in Coventry, R.I., for three days, because he brought to school a tiny, gun-shaped keychain that he’d won at an amusement park, according to The Huffington Post (via WPRO radio).
According to his dad, it was the kind of toy you get in a gumball machine. However, instead of getting a reasonable response, he was told by school officials that they were lucky Joseph wasn’t expelled since the school has a zero-tolerance policy for guns or gun replicas. Apparently that includes toy gun keychains
Believe me, I’m sensitive to violence at school. You can’t do enough to keep my kids safe. But this? There are no words. It’s a keychain. Barely larger than a quarter (see the photo here). Go ahead and set an example by confiscating the stupid toy. But suspending a kid for three days and making him miss a standardized test in the process (although Joseph probably enjoyed that part of it)? That goes beyond safety and ventures into just plain absurdity.
Photo credit: iStockphoto
More from Meredith on Babble:
- 13 Charmingly Illustrated ‘Super Families’ Show Superheroes in a Relative Way
- The New J. Crew Baby Line Includes a $178 Cashmere Onesie for Your Charming Cherub to Puke On
- The Changing Face of America: Exploring the Complexity of Cultural and Racial Origins (PHOTOS)
- Tide’s New Self-Washing T-Shirts for Millenials is a Sure Sign of the Dumb-Dumb Apocalypse
- Be Sure to Thank an Anti-Vaccination Parent for Contributing to the Return of Whooping Cough