The Perfect-Prom-Dress Search Takes an Ugly Turn as Girls Threaten Each Other Over GownsMeredith Carroll
If it’s prom season, there must be a controversy somewhere. Earlier in the season it was over the “threat” to “traditional” proms. Last year it was about a Confederate flag dress and then too-slutty dresses.
Now it’s all about the dresses — again. Not that they’re too revealing (although they just might be). It’s that some girls want to be sure that they are wearing an exclusive design. According to Yahoo Shine (via the New York Post), showing up in the same dress as another girl has become a great fear to the extent that some are posting threats on social media in an attempt to scare off the competition from donning the same duds.
Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter are the vehicles being used by girls to show their dresses alongside warnings such as, “This is my prom dress, if anyone gets/has this dress, I will personally come to your house, steal the dress,” and “Steal My Prom Dress and I’ll Knock You the F*** Out.”
Not all girls are threatening others on the social media sites, however. Some girls say they use the online forums to solicit feedback and compliments on their dresses.
“There’s really no competition on who has the prettiest dress,” Lulin Peng, at New York’s Stuyvesant High School said to the New York Post. “The only thing you can think of is how beautiful every girl will look in their dresses.”
Photo credit: iStockphoto
More from Meredith on Babble:
- 15 Hilarious Photos of a Grown Man Re-enacting Snapshots of Friends’ Babies
- 20 Dazzling Drag-Queen Portraits Showcase Intriguing Alter-Egos
- 7 Ways a Toddler is Exactly Like Your Annoying Co-Worker
- 11 Reasons Why Being a Toddler Rules
- Brave Photographer Has Lens Turned on Her as Strangers Gawk at her Weight (PHOTOS)
- The Battle They Didn’t Choose: A Husband Poignantly Documents His Wife’s Breast Cancer Fight (PHOTOS)
- 10 Things That are ONLY Funny to Toddlers
- The Mommy Tax: 7 Penalties Paid by Parents on April 15 (As Well as Every Other Day)
- 20 Whimsical Photos Capture the Darling Bond Between a Little Girl and Her Cat
- 10 Things I Pined for as a Kid that Actually Lived Up to the Hype as an Adult