Previous Post Next Post

Mom

Brought to you by

Today Is National Junk Food Day: How Will You Celebrate?

By paulabernstein |

Never heard of National Junk Food Day? Neither had I until just a few minutes ago. Nobody really knows how the day got started or who is behind the idea (Willy Wonka or Ronald McDonald, perhaps?).

I guess the idea of the pseudo-holiday is to indulge in junk food. But do we really need a special day devoted to something that we as a nation do every day?

A 2003 study found that nearly a third of the calories Americans consume are junk food –  sweets, salty snacks, soft drinks and alcohol. And I’m guessing the situation has only gotten worse since then. We clearly don’t need any reasons to eat more junk food.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, about two-thirds of all Americans over age 20 are overweight, and about one-third are obese; children are following fast, with more than 10 percent overweight.

In honor of the day, here are some amazing junk food facts courtesy of Huffington Post:

  • The average American eats about 24.5 pounds of candy per year. No wonder we’re so overweight.
  • The most popular ice cream flavors are vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan, strawberry and chocolate chip mint. My personal fave is mint chip.
  • More than 90% of households in the U.S. consume ice cream. What about the other 10%?
  • There are 12,804 McDonald’s restaurants in the U.S. alone.

I hate to be a party pooper, but why not celebrate the occasion by making you and your family a healthy and delicious family dinner you can all enjoy? And if you really want to indulge, enjoy some real ice cream for dessert or even better, a homemade treat.

What are your favorite indulgences? Don’t worry: we promise not to judge.

Photo: wikipedia/MissingHailstone

More on Babble

About paulabernstein

paulabernstein

paulabernstein

Paula Bernstein is a freelance writer and social media manager with a background in entertainment journalism. She is also the co-author of Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited.

« Go back to Mom

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Comments, together with personal information accompanying them, may be used on Babble.com and other Babble media platforms. Learn More.

0 thoughts on “Today Is National Junk Food Day: How Will You Celebrate?

  1. [...] Paula shared over on Strollerderby, “A 2003 study found that nearly a third of the calories Americans consume are junk [...]

  2. Snarky Mama says:

    I’ll just wait for the original National Junk Food Day: Halloween.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.

Previous Post Next Post