Tragic: 11-Year-Old Girl Fatally Electrocuted While Playing Miniature GolfSunny Chanel
When you think of dangerous activities that kids can engage in activities that can be fatal miniature golf is generally never on the top of the list. But tragedy struck at a Florida putt-putt course when an 11-year-old girl from New York was fatally electrocuted when she was out playing a round of mini-golf with her family.
What went wrong?
According to reports, Ashton Jojo of New York was vacationing in Florida at the Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee. Her parents and brother were with her on vacation to celebrate her eleventh birthday. While playing a round of gold, the young girl tried to retrieve her ball that had dropped in a small two-foot deep pond. That is when she hit with a deadly electrical shock.
“Ashton went to get the ball out and as she was in there … the 11-year-old Ashton was electrocuted,” the grandmother of one Ashton’s friends said to WESH 2. “It’s hard to imagine that sort of thing can happen at a beautiful resort. It’s just so tragic.”
“It has been ruled an accident, but the cause was electrocution,” Shawn Thomas of the medical examiner’s office said. “An autopsy is being conducted.”
The electric charge was reportedly caused by the wrong electrical breakers that installed into the mini golf water feature. The inspectors believe that water may have entered the electrical components, which caused the fatal electric surge.
“Orange Lake Resort holds the safety and well-being of our guests and employees as our top priority and concern,” said Stacey Sutherland, a spokeswoman for the resort. “The miniature golf facility where the incident happened is closed and will not re-open until further notice. Our thoughts and prayers are with the guests, their families and friends during this time,” she added.