It only took seconds.
A man snatches a 2-year-old little girl from a shopping cart while her mom’s back is turned.
It happened two weeks ago at a Walmart in Oklahoma and it was all caught on surveillance video that the Midland Police Department released today.
The man, identified by police as 37-year-old Sammy Wallace, boldly picked up the toddler as her older sister watched in confusion. He then handed the mother his cell, urged her to call a particular police officer then walked away to wait for police to arrive.
Alicia Keating pleaded for her daughter as shoppers called police. Many used their carts to block Wallace’s path. Once cops arrived they evacuated the store, sent the mother to the front of the building and began negotations. Police say Wallace was uncooperative and made odd demands. Ultimately he started a countdown from sixty. That’s when officers took action. One officer distracted Wallace while another moved in and shot him at point blank range, while he was holding the toddler.
Police say they tried and tried to end the situation peacefully and had no other alternative. Thanks to the quick-thinking police officers the toddler is okay. Wallace has a history of mental health issues although police haven’t released a specific motivation for kidnapping the child.
Check out the unbelievable video below. It cuts off before the actual shooting occurs.
[videopost src=' Monica Bielanko To Strollerderby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-hddS2YrY ' width='600' height='400']
Image credit: Midland Police Dept.
Read more from Monica on Babble:
- Cirque du Soleil Accident: Mother of 2 Plummets to Her Death Mid-Performance
- Art of the Brick: Artist’s Unbelievable LEGO Creations
- See It To Believe It: Artist Creates Illustrations Without Lines, Using Only The Word of the Object He’s Drawing
- Parents Say The Darndest Things: 20 Crazy Things Parents Say To Their Kids
- Created Equal: Photog’s Amazing Series Aims To Showcase Inequality In America