Of course, the girls love them. A kitten with a dragon’s tail and flower petals for wings faces down a sock monkey with horns in their bedroom every night.
Weird plush things are adorable, unusual, and a hit at birthday parties no matter how many candles are on the cake. They’re also a fun D.I.Y. project.
You don’t have to be a crafty genius to make a memorable stuffed toy.
If you knit, crochet or sew, there are patterns all over the web for making whatever odd creature you like. If you’re more hand-craft challenged, though, don’t despair. The Frankencreatures my kids received were made from recycled parts of other animals. They required just a little sewing and a lot of playful vision.
To make one of these, you simply need to:
- Gather up a collection of used stuffed animals. Steal these from your kids discard pile, or hit Goodwill.
- Cut them into parts, along the seams. Come on, you know you’ve always wanted to dissect a teddy bear, right?
- Play god. This is the fun part, but also challenging: you need to decide how to put the pieces back together to create your own creature.
- Once you have a vision, break out your sewing kit and simply reattach the pieces in their new configuration. There’s no fancy sewing here, you’re just making a sturdy seam.
- Voila! You’ve created a weird creature.
Photo: Patricia Waller