Your Daily Inspiration: 4-Year-Old Gavin, Who is Blind, Successfully Navigates a Curb (VIDEO)Meredith Carroll
Four months after Gavin Stevens was born in the fall of 2008, his parent’s received confirmation of what they called their “ever-growing worry:” he was completely blind.
He suffers from Leber’s Congential Amaurosis (LCA), which is a rare retina disease that causes blindness and is said to affect 3,000 people in the United States. Gavin’s family is documenting his journey while also fighting for a cure.
They recently released a video (which we saw first on BuzzFeed) that shows Gavin independently navigating a curb for the first time.
Think about the small victories in your small child’s life, and then take a moment to let Gavin’s not-so-small accomplishment sink in as you watch his major awesomeness:
For more information on LCA and to help Gavin:
Video credit: YouTube
Photo credit: iStockphoto
More from Meredith on Babble:
- ‘My Baby, Not My Child': Brave Woman Documents Giving Up Her Infant for Adoption (PHOTOS)
- ‘Up’ Fan Art Further Illustrates the Sweetness of a Poignant Story (PHOTOS)
- It Was Only a Matter of Time: Meet Hipster Mickey Mouse (PHOTOS)
- Bunny Babes! 15 Toddlers Who are All Ready for Easter
- ‘Flying Henry’ Magically Lands in Bookstores (PHOTOS)
- No Bunny Does Easter Like These 10 Awkward Easter Bunnies
- 10 Ways to Tell Your Second Child Apart from Your First
- Your Bad-Hair Day Just Got Better: 10 Hilariously Awkward Hairdos That, Thankfully, Aren’t Yours