For 300 members of the military, it’s about family ties, not neckties this Father’s Day.
It’s far too easy to get caught up in buying Dad the perfect grilling tools or ‘World’s Best Dad’ mug for Father’s Day with high hopes that it’ll be the Best Gift Ever. Maybe your kids will make him a card that will make him chuckle or even bring a tear to his eye. Maybe he’ll get some extra time to himself on Sunday or maybe he’ll enjoy an afternoon excursion with the whole family gang.
What’s also far too easy, however, is to forget about all of the dads who won’t be with their families because they’re off serving in the military. You want to get a lump in your throat or feel your eyes get moist? Think of the dads who won’t get their handmade cards handed to them in person from their kids.
There’s an organization called Operation Homefront that’s “bringing 300 active duty service members home to spend real moments with their families just in time for Father’s Day.” Some of these dads have never spent Father’s Day with their kids — and some have never even met their kids.
Grab a Kleenex and watch this video of one dad who’s never met his infant son — until now:
Photo/video credit: Dove® Men+Care® Mission: Care/YouTube
More from Meredith on Babble:
- Soulumination Documents the Priceless Yet Fleeting Joy of Families with Terminally Ill Children (PHOTOS)
- Hilarious! Museum of Bad Art Gives Your Kid’s Artwork a Run for Its (Ugly) Money (PHOTOS)
- 10 Photos of Kids Whose Parents are Obviously Doing at Least 1 Thing Right
- When Dad Doesn’t Know Best: 10 Hilariously Awkward Father’s Day Photos
- 12 Pieces of Graduation Advice to Guide Kids Through It All
- Artist Merrily Morphs Her Dad Into the Superhero She’s Always Believed Him to Be (PHOTOS)
- Breast Milk-Flavored Lollipops Plus 9 Other ‘Treats’ That are All Sorts of Wrong
- 10 Things Happy Moms Do Differently