Dan Cuellar is no stranger to pregnant women and newborn babies. The Philadelphia-based photographer has made international news with precious shots of the teeniest, tiniest babies taken when they are just hours old. Cuellar has been taking pictures since the age of 15 and, despite his love of little babies and the tummies they developed in, he is particularly attracted to photos that capture the environment and landscapes.
Last summer he started a Zodiac portrait series for pregnant women and newborns, with each photo representing new birth under the Zodiac signs — and all serve to combine his strengths and talents.
“Each of the zodiac signs are represented separately by both the character and the environment,” Cuellar tells Babble. “For example, Gemini, the twins, are known for having two sides. The environment of Gemini is the salar de uyuni salt flat. During the rainy season, the salt flat turns into a shallow pool with a smooth surface creating a gigantic mirror that shows both sides.”
The series is ongoing, and Cuellar plans to have it finished by July. Take a look at what he’s done so far:
All photos used with permission from Dan Cuellar
More from Meredith on Babble:
- Muwhahaha! 10 Prom Photos so Awful They’re Sure to Trigger the Awkward Alarm
- Nerdiest Couple EVER Takes the 6 Most Awkward, Sexy and Hilarious Engagement Photos EVER
- Photographer Brings Dreams to Life for Boy with Muscular Dystrophy (PHOTOS)
- 10 Photos that are the Perfect Recipe for a Perfectly Awkward Mother’s Day
- Doubly Delightful: Dad Lovingly Captures Precious Twin Girls on Film (PHOTOS)
- Gorgeous Children Shine in the National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest (PHOTOS)