Loading
Welcome to Babble,
Settings
Sign Out

Get the Babble Newsletter!

Already have an account? .

MENU

2013 Most Unusual Pet Insurance Claim, Revealed!

pet insurance2013’s most unusual pet insurance claim winner has been crowned in the 2013 VPI Hambone Award. This annual award, which is in it’s 5th year, is decided after review of 1.1 million pet insurance claims and over 6000 votes cast in a public vote.

The VPI Hambone Award is awarded by one of the nations largest pet insurance companies, Veterinary Pet Insurance Co., and is given in honor of a “VPI-insured dog that got stuck in a refrigerator and ate an entire Thanksgiving ham while waiting for someone to find him! The dog was eventually found, with a licked-clean ham bone and a mild case of hypothermia.” The award was created to increase the public awareness of  unexpected mishaps that befall household pets.

This year, the winning claim goes to Winnie, a mixed-breed pooch who ingested an entire 2-lb bag of onion rings, which are toxic for dogs. The dog’s owner, Kyle Bowser of Barnstable, Mass.,  returned home after accidentally leaving the frozen bag on the floor after getting groceries, to a guilty-looking dog and quickly took action — via Facebook.

After Bowser received life-saving feedback from Hyannis Animal Hospital in West Yarmouth, Mass., a local animal hospital, after her husband posted a photo of the pup and onion rings to Facebook. A friend pointed out that the consumption of onion rings could lead to a lot more than a stomach ache, which prompted Kyle to phone the Pet Poison Helpline.

Thanks to the quick help from those at Hyannis Animal Hospital in West Yarmouth, Mass., Winnie made a full recovery and for their efforts,they will receive a $10,000 VPI-funded award through the Veterinary Care Foundation to treat pets whose owners can’t afford treatment otherwise.

NatashaSecond place winner of the 2013 VPI Hambone Award was awarded to Natasha the Siberian Forest Cat from Oakland, Calif. who was treated for hypothermia and shock after she accidentally went through a full wash-load cycle in the washing machine when her owner’s roommate didn’t spot the curious cat before starting the machine. She also made a full recovery thanks to the quick action of those working at VCA Bay Area Veterinary Specialists in San Leandro, Calif..

Source: VPI press release; email
Photo credits: Supplied by VPI and shared with their permission.

More on Babble:

Devan is a freelance writer living in Toronto, Ontario with her husband, three kids and expecting baby #4 at the end of this year. Read more from  on Babble and “like” Accustomed Chaos on Facebook!

FacebookTwitterGoogle+TumblrPinterest
Tagged as: , ,

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Learn More.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+TumblrPinterest