3 Things My Cat Ariel Does That Brightens My DayDevan McGuinness
It’s been a few months since we adopted our 2-and-a-half year old cat Ariel. She has melded into our family very well and getting to know her over these past few months has been so fun.
I lived with my cats Puff and Ming-Ming for 16 years. They both passed away at the start of the year and they were the best cats in the whole world (I stand by that). When you love someone that long and are used to their mannerisms and what they like and don’t like, I worried about getting to know a new cat and if I would or could bond with her as I had with my older cats.
I knew from the moment we saw her, she was destined to be a part of our family and she’s been making my day brighter ever since we brought her home.
1) She purrs like nothing else: This cat, I swear you just have to look at her and she will start purring for you. It’s a therapeutic sound for me and having a cat show you so much love — it’s near impossible not to just radiate happy.
2) She plays: It has been so long since I have had a cat who is interested enough in playing. Puff and Ming-Ming lost interest in that long before they passed away and watching Ariel play is so fun. We have toys for her in the house and randomly she will just attack a toy on the floor or jump at a light shining on the wall.
3) She scratches when she drinks: I don’t know why she does this, but when she drinks, she scratches the floor like she’s digging with her paws. I wonder if it has to do with nursing as a kitten or if it’s more with how she found water when she was living outside before she was taken to the animal shelter. The first time we saw her do this, it was so hard not to laugh!
:: In what ways does your cat brighten your day? ::
Photo credit: Devan McGuinness
More on Babble:
- 20 Funny Pictures of Stuff on Your Cats
- 8 Cats Who Are Having a Hard Day
- 8 Bald Animals Who Look Terrifying Without Hair
- 12 Ways to Stop Yelling At Your Kids