5 Things To Pack In Your Dogs Bag On Car TripsDanielle Sullivan
Yesterday, we brought you tips on packing a bag for your dog when he is boarded, but we recognize that not every owner wants to leave his/her dog. Some owners decide to leave their pet home and hire a pet-sitter, but many of us will just bring our beloved pooches with us. And if you do, you’ll need to pack a bag for them.
Here is a list of things you’ll need to pack if your dog is coming along on your trip:
1. ID: Be sure your pet always wears a well-fitted collar and ID tag with accurate contact information. It is important that the ID tag include an easily accessible number, such as your cell phone. When lodging out of town, prepare a temporary tag with the address and number of your travel quarters. Use waterproof tape and a waterproof marker to change your phone number as you travel.
2. Seat covers: Having your dog along for the ride can be fun, but you don’t want to come home with expensive damage down to your car’s seats. Pet seat covers come in a rainbow of colors and textures to keep you and your pet at peace on the road; some even come in eco-friendly, water-resistant or scratch-durable fabrics. The price on seat covers range, so you won’t have trouble finding one in your budget.
3. Travel water dispenser: To prevent dehydration, dogs should always have fresh water available. But in terms of a bumpy road trip — you may be wondering just how to hydrate your dog without making a mess. You won’t have to worry about that if you use a pet travel water dispenser.
4. Food: If you are not sure your brand of food will be available at your destination and along the way, or if you feed a special diet, bring enough food for the whole trip. If your dog prefers canned food, make sure to bring a can opener and spoon. For dry food, store in a Tupperware with a spoon so you can easily scoop out the correct portion for your pooch. And don’t forget Fido’s favorite bowl, or try a travel bowl.
5. Sunscreen: Some dogs sunburn around their nose, ears and other areas —so pack sun protection cream for the dog if you are going somewhere sunny.
More on traveling with your dog: Vacation Time: 5 Tips For Packing a Puppy Bag When You Board Your Dog
MORE OF MY BABBLE POSTS: