Just as I did with the Fastest-Rising Baby Names for Girls, I scoured through the boys’ column to find which names jumped up the ranks at high speed.
Some of these are predictable (such as alternate spellings of popular names, and our fascination with the letter “X”), some indicate fast-rising trends, and others are unique and lovely names that more and more parents are beginning to recognize.
Most of these names are still in the #200 – #800 range — not quite superstar status — and many entered the Top 1,000 list for the first time in 2011. But all of them increased their rank by 100 to 400 spots in only a year’s time, so they just might be topping the charts eventually:
More boy names that saw a notable increase in 2011 (besides those mentioned above):
- Amare (African for “handsome”)
- Arabic names like Abdullah and Samir
- Matias (as well as Matteo/Mateo)
As far as the Top 20, Mason (now #2) and Liam (now #15) saw the biggest increases.
More baby-naming goodness:
- 20 fastest-rising baby names for girls
- Top mid-century names for boys
- Top mid-century names for girls
- Most popular twin names of 2011
- Nameberry predicts the hottest name trends of 2012
- My favorite baby-naming blogs
Read more of Michelle’s writing at Early Mama.