Previous Post Next Post

Pregnancy

Brought to you by

2010 US Census Results Are In: Fewer Babies, More Republicans

By ceridwen |

The 2010 US Census shows that the last decade has marked the slowest population growth in the US since the Great Depression.  The population has grown by 9.7%, over the last 10 years, to 308 million. Nevada had the largest growth, while Michigan was the only state to show a decline. 60% of the growth is from births in the US, the other 40% comes from immigration.

This downward trend is likely a reflection of difficult economic times. Census director Robert Groves said that it was “an assertion on the part of historians” that growth slowed down in the 1930s because of the Great Depression. But pointed out that the relationship between the economy and population is a complicated one. The US is still growing faster than some other developed nations, like France and England. The populations of these countries increased by only 5% over the last decade.

More growth was found in Republican-leaning Southern states; in the fall these states will be awarded more seats in the House of Representatives. Added seats from these states could have an impact on the electoral college vote in the 2012 election.

My babies were born during a New York City baby boom which has been nice because there are lots of other families around. But it’s been hard, too. Getting into a good public school can become a full-time job for at least one parent.

How has the Great Recession affected your thoughts and decisions on the size of your family? Would you have more children if this country were in better shape?

photo: OakleyOriginals/Flickr

More on Babble

About ceridwen

ceridwen

ceridwen

Ceridwen Morris is a writer, mother, and certified childbirth educator. She is the author of several books and screenplays, including (Three Rivers; 2007). She serves on the board of The Childbirth Education Association of Metropolitan New York and teaches at Tribeca Parenting in New York City. Read bio and latest posts → Read Ceridwen's latest posts →

« Go back to Pregnancy

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Comments, together with personal information accompanying them, may be used on Babble.com and other Babble media platforms. Learn More.

0 thoughts on “2010 US Census Results Are In: Fewer Babies, More Republicans

  1. David Konigsberg says:

    Note. Big growth in Texas and other sunbelt states due largely to increase in latino residents. These are not Republicans. So what you might find is “red” states electing more “blue” representatives.

  2. Jenny Tries Too Hard says:

    Actually David, while you’re right that a lot of our growth had to do immigrants of Hispanic heritage, there’s absolutely no reason to think that “these are not Republicans”. Texas and Florida, two of the very immigrant-heavy states that will soon be awarded more seats, both elected first-generation Hispanic American Republicans (Rubio in Florida and Canseco in Texas) to represent them in the House and Senate. Immigrants and first-generation Americans not of Hispanic descent have recently done very well with Republicans in other Southern states, too…think Nikki Haley in SC and Bobby Jindal in Louisiana. I think, as a Mexican American in Texas who generally votes Republican, that our red-state status is pretty safe…no matter how brown our skin gets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.

Previous Post Next Post