5 Body Parts I Didn't Expect to Hurt During PregnancyDevan McGuinness
When I got pregnant for the first time, I was nervous and excited to see what changes my body would go through.
I was the first of my young family and close friends to get pregnant, so I didn’t have much warning on what to expect. My mom tried to tell me that when I got closer to term, I might experience some discomfort as the baby expanded and room decreased.
I was prepared for some of those aches and pains, but you know? I was surprised with how early some of the aches came and which body parts felt the pain from the pregnancy.
1) My head: Early on in the first trimester and going into the second, I would get these annoyingly painful headaches. I was not someone who got a lot of them before pregnancy so it was a surprise to me. Likely due to the hormones, so it eased a bit in the later part of the second trimester.
2) My feet: I knew that my feet would likely get a little sore as I got near the end of the pregnancy from carrying the extra weight. What I didn’t expect though was how much they ached, even if I didn’t do much walking. Slight swelling in the ankles and feet made even wearing socks uncomfortable.
3) My hips: I should have known because it just makes sense, but the ache on my hips — I swear that I wasn’t expecting it. It hurt to sit down, to get back up, to roll over, and it just got worse as I got bigger.
4) My kidneys: I am one of those unfortunate people who develop multiple (as in I’ve passed 24) kidney stones during pregnancy. I wasn’t expecting it, but man, my kidneys felt a lot of pain during pregnancy.
5) My bellybutton: I didn’t even really know you could feel in your belly button, but as my stomach grew and stretched, so did my bellybutton and the aches began there. It’s not something I was worried about however, it did take me by surprise since I had not seen it mentioned in any of the multiple pregnancy books that I was reading.
:: Did you have any unusual (to you) aches and pains in pregnancy? ::
Photo credits: istockphoto