New Post from Liz Lange! 5 Fall Fashion Must-Haves: What to Buy, What to Adapt from Your Pre-Pregnancy Wardrobestrollerderby
I love the crisp fall weather and all the great fashion that comes with it! To update your wardrobe without a big spend, shop for a few key pieces that compliment your changing body and then mix in items already in your closet.
Great news ladies, there are tons of great fall trends that lend themselves well to a pregnant woman’s shape. As a rule of thumb, don’t waste money on clothing that won’t flatter your pregnancy curves like the loose-fitting trouser that’s all the rage right now. Instead, opt for stretchy, fitted pants and feminine blouses to get that ladylike “Mad Men”-inspired look. Remember: the idea is to always try to elongate your shape.
Keep these pointers in mind as you comb through your closet and browse store racks to create chic autumn ensembles:
1. Cardigans are a year-after-year staple for cooler weather. The long, boyfriend-inspired styles are so popular and provide midsection coverage. You can also take a cardigan you already own and wear it open for a cute, shrunken look over your growing belly.
2. The drape neckline that appeared this summer is still going strong for fall. It’s subtly sexy and a fresh, modern version of a crewneck. I’m seeing it everywhere from dresses to this draped-neck top from my Target collection so pick the style you like best.
3. Capes and poncho-shaped sweater jackets are huge for fall. You can buy (or recycle!) one that’s not maternity and wear after your baby is born too. I love this cozy, cable-knit version from Anthropologie.
4. Bright colors were all over the fall runways, I recommend mixing up solid looks with a hint of red or cobalt blue. Start small and inexpensive by just incorporating a bold-hued scarf or belt to liven up a neutral outfit. You can even repurpose a bright sweater that won’t fit over your baby bump right now by tying it around your neck for a preppy splash of color.
5. So many decades are coming back into play this season, so chances are you already have pieces that fit the bill in your closet from years ago! I’m loving Jackie O-inspired structured handbags (like this one from Rebecca Minkoff) they’re super sophisticated and instantly upgrade any outfit. My other favorites include bold, inexpensive costume jewelry and slouch boots with a wooden stacked heel (not too high, ladies!) for a cool, 70’s vibe.
More tips and tricks on maternity style to come, so stay tuned!
Where to buy:
Liz Lange® for Target® Maternity Short-Sleeve Cowl-Neck Knit Top, $19.99, Target
Cabled Cocoon Poncho, $128, Anthropologie
Rebecca Minkoff Covet Satchel, $395, shopbop.com
Designer and entrepreneur Liz Lange pioneered maternity chic, creating stylish clothes for pregnant women. After working at Vogue magazine, Liz tried her hand as a designer and developed the idea for a sophisticated and slim-fitting collection of maternity clothing. This innovative design approach quickly attracted celebrities, fashion insiders, businesswomen and stay-at-home moms-to-be alike, launching her brand and cementing her status as a fashion trailblazer. In 2002 she launched her exclusive maternity collection for Target. The Liz Lange Maternity for Target collection offers soon-to-be moms stylish maternity looks at wallet-friendly prices.