When I was pregnant with my oldest son, I was pregnant all summer long. He also was a December baby, and that year we had heat till late October, which is unusual and sucked really bad for living in Connecticut.
Then going through two pregnancies in the fall/winter months really made me think about all the great things that could have helped me make it through a pregnancy in the summer. Hence my list today!
Especially since it is nice and hot out again.
Please feel free to include your must have summer items for surviving pregnancy!
1. A personal mister – Seriously it sounds like something that would go right alongside your fanny pack, but honestly something that fans you, and helps to cool you down with water at the same time is worth its weight in gold.
2. Sun dresses – Long and short… anything with short sleeves, or no sleeves at all. Even in my last month of pregnancy when it was freezing out, I wanted nothing to do with pants. Believe me, most of you won’t want to deal with them in the dead of the summer either!
3. A Bathing Suit – Its hot… you will want to be in nice cool water, even if it is only a kiddie pool in your back yard, or a sprinkler! Yes, you may consider reverting back to your childhood and play in the sprinkler! But seriously, go for it, with my oldest I never did, and just used a big T-shirt and shorts and totally regret it!
4. Re-usable Water Bottles – Try to get the BPA free ones also! Take them everywhere you go. You do not want to end up like I did and become dehydrated to the point of having to spend 5 hours in the hospital to get hydrated!
5. Comfortable Sandals – Find a pair of flip flops that are supportive, and comfortable and stock up! I lived in my Adidas sandals with all of my pregnancies, even in the dead of winter!
6. Air Conditioning – Seriously… don’t even try to make it through a summer pregnancy, someplace hot… without it. I tried, and failed miserably. Just say no to trying!
7. Fresh Fruit – It is good for you, and refreshing! Plus, who can’t go for a giant platter of fresh fruit when pregnant, or during the summer, putting both of them together just makes it even better!
8. Take Out Menus – Skip cooking in the summer. Either grill out, or go out! I used to loath heating my whole kitchen up to cook, it would drive me up a wall! Some can deal with it perfectly… some feel like they want to hit the floor the second they turn the stove on!
What are some of your favorite summer must haves for pregnancy?