My favorite snack is yogurt and cereal. I sure hope my kiddo loves yogurt and cereal, too! I always thought it was a perfect snack because it combines nearly every food group: protein, dairy, carbohydrates, and fat (if the yogurt isn’t fat free, of course). And if you top it with berries or a sliced banana, you’ll got a little fruit, too.
The Environmental Working Group, a non-profit organization that provides consumer information relating to, among other things, pesticides in foods and organic products, recently published a list of the Ten Worst and Best Children’s Cereals by sugar content.
Click through to read more!
According to the EWG’s report, which reviewed 84 popular brands of cereal, “most children’s cereals do not meet federal voluntary guidelines for foods nutritious enough to be marketed to children.” The biggest problem is the sugar content of such cereals, but there are other concerns, too, such as too much sodium, too much fat, not enough whole grains, or genetically modified ingredients.
The 10 Worst Children’s Cereals, according to the EWG, include:
- Kellogg’s Honey Smacks (55.6% sugar by weight!)
- Post Golden Crisp
- Kellogg’s Froot Loops Marshmallow
- Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch OOPS! All Berries
- Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch Original
- Quaker Oats Cap’n Oh!s
- Kellogg’s Smorz
- Kellogg’s Apple Jacks
- Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries
- Kellogg’s Froot Loops Original
The EWG’s Best Children’s Cereals list includes many organic products, which are free of pesticides and genetically modified ingredents. By brand, the best cereals include:
- Ambrosial Granola: Athenian Harvest Muesli
- Go Raw: Live Granola, Live Chocolate Granola, and Simple Granola
- Grandy Oats: Mainely Maple Granola, Cashew Raisin Granola, and Swiss Style Muesli
- Kaia Foods: Buckwheat Granola Dates & Spices and Buckwheat Granola Raisin Cinnamon
- Laughing Giraffe: Cranberry Orange Granola
- Lydia’s Organics: Apricot Sun, Berry Good, Grainless Apple, Sprouted Cinnamon, and Vanilla Crunch.
- Nature’s Path Organic: Optimum Banana Almond, Optimum Cranberry Ginger, Corn Puffs, Kamut Puffs, Millet Puffs, and Rice Puffs.
You can follow her on Twitter, too.