C-Section versus VBACHolly Whitney
My surgery is scheduled and in the early morning hours next Sunday I am heading to the hospital to deliver my second son via cesarean section.
This is the second time I will deliver this way. But this time will be so different from the first.
At my first prenatal visit for this pregnancy my OB-GYN asked me if I wanted to do another c-section or if I wanted to deliver vaginally. At that point I really wasn’t sure. Months later I would not have the option of choosing.
When I was diagnosed with complete Placenta Previa I was told I would have to deliver via c-section because the placenta was completely blocking my cervix. There would be no delivering vaginally. Then my placenta moved completely out of the way and the option was mine again.
I’ve been back and forth about it but in the end I think I have always planned on having another c-section. Early on I would tease about why would I want to “ruin both ends”. I ended up having to deliver my first son via c-section after 24 hours of labor, broken water, and not progressing enough to push. It was so not what I planned.
But life doesn’t always go according to plan.
And since I have the option this time around, I am going to choose a cesarean section.
No pooping on the table.
Just another major surgery.
A due date I can put on my calendar.
A baby in my arms in just one week.
I know there are many out there who will not agree with my decision. What they need to remember is that it’s just that—my decision. A decision that wasn’t made lightly. One that I will not fret over whether it was the right or wrong decision. A decision that I will not beat myself up over.
All I really wish for is a healthy baby. In a week that wish will be coming true.