Christmas morning would find me one day shy of 38 weeks pregnant, and while the risk of actually going into labor were slim (I’ve gone into labor naturally 3 times, and never a day before the 40 week mark), December 25th has been lingering and looming in the back of my mind as a date I wanted to avoid.
Things I worried about:
1. Not having a place to drop off my kids. We don’t have any family in town, so we would have had to find a friend and ask them to babysit and take care of my kids on Christmas. I just didn’t want to have to do that.
2. I didn’t want to have to call my doula on Christmas Day. I’m relying on my doula to get me through hopefully another unmediated birth. She’s also a mom to three little kids, and the last thing I wanted to do was call her to come down to the hospital.
3. I probably would not have called my birth photographer. Ok, my photographer is also know as my best friend (check out the photos she captured from my son’s birth). No part of me would have felt right asking her to leave her family (she has two girls) and come across town to be with me.
4. My child sharing their birthday with Christmas. Yes, I realized that with a due date in less than two weeks, his birthday is going to be close to the holidays regardless. I just didn’t want December 25th to be his exact birth date.
5. Just not feeling “ready.” With the hectic schedule that December brings, I just didn’t feel in my heart that I was ready to have a baby. With the house full of chaotic decorations, and our calendar packed with events, I haven’t had much time to prep for baby.
I know, regardless of my silly fears listed above, if I would have gone into labor, everything would have worked out just fine. But believe me, I’m so glad to be on the other end of December 25th, still pregnant.
Today is December 26th. Christmas is done, and I’ve given this baby the go ahead to do its thing and come into the world. This week’s agenda consist of packing my hospital bag, and pack the kids an overnight bag as well.
Anytime here on out would make a fine birth date, don’t you think? I’m kinda hoping to have a New Year’s Eve baby.
How about you? Were you fearing a Christmas Day baby like I was?
Emily also blogs on her personal site, DesignHER Momma.