If you are anything like me, during the holiday season you enjoy a nice glass of wine with friends and family. Of course this year, I cannot partake in these same festivities with a good conscience. Despite all the conflicting reports regarding the safety of alcohol during pregnancy, the glares and stares are not worth it to me, as well as the fear of the unknown.
I thought I would put a list together of some of my favorite alcohol free cocktails for all my preggo partners out there. I certainly will be enjoying some of these myself from Christmas Eve through New Year’s.
1. Shirley Temple (my favorite) – Grenadine syrup, Sprite and a cherry. The cherry is a must have! Heck, add 5 if you want!
2. Virgin Blue Lagoon – 1/2 cup ice, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup milk (of your choice), 1 cup pineapple juice, top it with whipped cream, and a fresh slice of pineapple! Delish fruity treat!
3. Fake Sangria – 3 cups of cranberry juice cocktail, 1 orange, 2 cups of iced tea (kind of your choice, I prefer homemade red raspberry leaf sweet tea), 2 table spoons of lime juice or fresh squeezed lime, 1 lime, 1 lemon, and about 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice. If you make your own sangria like I typically do during the summer time, this will be a hit!
4. Bay Breeze – Minus the Malibu damn it! Mix in equal parts pineapple juice, orange Juice, and a citrus soda of your choice (Sprite, Sierra Mist, 7up) and add ice.
5. Citrus Freeze – 1/2 cup ice, 1 lime, 1 lemon, 1/2 cup raspberries, 1 cup orange juice, and chill.
6. Cranberry Sparkler – 8 ounces cranberry juice cocktail, 2 ounces sparkling water or seltzer water, 1/4 cup ice, and a lime wedge for garnish.
While they may not be as good as the real deal, they certainly can help you to feel in the spirit while making sure your little bundle of joy is safe!