Don’t get me wrong, I still like baby showers. It’s not like I expect people to not throw one because little old me is having a bitter moment of infertility. But sometimes when I attend one and the entire conversation is just babies and mothering and diapers and cute clothing, I kind of want to run away and hide.
Here are some considerations for both the host and infertile invitee to help make the shower a little more comfortable.
For the host:
- Always invite the infertile friend but don’t get offended if they don’t come.
- At the shower, encourage conversation about several topics and not just babies.
- Ask them if they want to be involved somehow. Planning for the party might prove to be a good distraction for them.
- Don’t bring up their childlessness.
For the infertile invitee:
- Look at the shower as a celebration for your friend, not a time to be resentful.
- Feel free to decline the invitation and just send a gift instead.
- Prep yourself. Don’t go into it thinking it’s going to be terrible, tell yourself it will be okay.
- Be ready with responses for any comments that might come up about your childlessness.
- Volunteer to help with the party.
Do you have any suggestions to add?
image: Amelia Johnson