Freezer Cooking: What's On My PlanKateTietje
A month or so ago, I mentioned that I’m planning to do some freezer cooking in preparation for this new baby. That way, after the baby’s born, cooking is simple!
I’ve been working since then to formulate a plan. The thing is, a lot of things that we eat don’t really need advance preparation (like taco salad). So I’m going to be working with a combination of freezer and pantry preparation to make meals easiest on whoever has to make them — hopefully not me, at least at first!
Curious to know what I’m preparing, and how I’ll be storing it?
Recently my daughter told me she loves chicken nuggets, but only the “good ones” from home. That’s fine with me! As it happens, these are on my freezer plan. They’re rather time-consuming to make initially, but if I make a whole bunch — like 3 or 4 lbs. — all at once, it’s not so bad. And it’ll make a fast and reasonably healthy lunch (we fry ours in lard or beef tallow).
Here’s what will go in my freezer:
- 3 – 4 lbs. chicken nuggets
- 3 – 4 lbs. marinated chicken breasts
- 5 lbs. fish (various types, plain)
- 3 – 4 meatloaves, unbaked
- 3 – 4 batches chili
- 1 large batch refried beans
- 1 large batch black beans (Mexican-style)
- 1 large batch meat sauce
- 4 – 5 lbs. shredded and cubed cheeses (Cheddar and Romano)
- 2 doz. personal-size frozen pizzas
- 3 – 4 cups cheese sauce
- 4 – 5 8-cup bowls each of chicken and beef stock
- LOTS of frozen peas, broccoli, spinach, and other favorite veggies
- LOTS of frozen fruit (strawberries, pineapples, mangoes, etc.)
- An assortment of dinner rolls, muffins, etc.
Into my fridge:
- 1 gallon of yogurt (homemade keeps for weeks)
- 4 – 5 lbs. of carrots
- 2 – 3 lbs. of celery
Into my pantry:
- 1 large container blackened seasoning (for fish)
- 1 large container taco seasoning
- 3 lbs. “rice pilaf” mix (with brown and wild rice + spices and dehydrated veggies)
- 5 – 6 lbs. organic corn chips
- 2 – 3 lbs. homemade pancake mix (so far I’m the only one who really likes this…sigh)
- Other bread “mixes” — cornbread, chocolate muffins, etc. as deemed “necessary” by the family
What’s in your freezer?
Top image by Becoming Green