Giving Birth Post Hurricane

Last Wednesday morning, I had an ultrasound scheduled at 8am. Since I live in New York City, I had no idea if people would be at the hospital when I arrived or not. The answering service couldn’t tell me anything except that the hospital was scheduled to open as normal at 9am which didn’t really answer my question.

After we lost power, heat and water on Monday night, we had migrated to our friends’ apartment on the Upper West Side where everything was functioning fine. It was tough sleeping on a pull-out sofa while 38 weeks pregnant, but I know many others were dealing with far worse.

Everyone seemed to believe that nobody would be at hospital when I arrived but we went regardless. Mike drove because that was the easiest way to get there with the lack of public transportation and we took Mazzy with us because with school closed and our nanny stuck in Queens, she had nowhere else to go.

I was relieved to find the hospital was fully operational and staffed at 8am. There were even several other pregnant women in the waiting room with me. My ultrasound went as planned and Mazzy got to see the technician squirt my belly with warm jelly (“What’s that?”) and see the baby’s heartbeat on the monitor.

The baby is now head down (as she should be), which unfortunately meant that Mazzy couldn’t really get a good visual.

I was scheduled for the ultrasound because my OB said I was still measuring small (even though I can’t imagine how that’s possible!) and wanted to make sure the baby’s development and growth were normal. The technician said she is currently 6.5lbs. which is totally within average, not to mention the exact size Mazzy was when she was born two weeks early.

So, although the baby did not arrive during the hurricane (THANK GOD), she is clearly coming SOON.

Our power (along with our water and heat) returned Friday night, so we are now back in our apartment and I don’t have to worry about bringing our new baby back to a pull-out sofa in a tiny guest room shared by three people on the Upper West Side.

But, I also have become acutely aware of how unprepared we were for this particular disaster and will be purchasing an emergency kit along with a case of water and a massive supply of batteries to keep in our storage room. With two children in the house, our safety becomes even more important and I don’t want to go through the emotions I did last Monday night ever again.

If you’d like to read the full story of how it felt to be 38 weeks pregnant during the hurricane, click here.

Read more of Ilana’s writing at Mommy Shorts. 
And don’t miss a post! Follow Ilana on Twitter and Facebook!

Article Posted 4 years Ago
share this article
facebook twitter tumblr pinterest
See Comments
what do you think?
share this article
facebook twitter tumblr pinterest
See Comments
what do you think?
what do you think?
close comments
Subscribe to the
Follow us on