How To Keep Pants Peeing to a Minimum During PregnancyLauren Hartmann
Remember the quote from the movie “Billy Madison” where Billy says, “You’re not cool unless you pee your pants.” to which an old woman replies “If peeing your pants is cool, then consider me Miles Davis.”
Well, I think many a pregnant woman could be considered Miles Davis if this were the case.
I had always heard about how pregnant women sometimes peed their pants, but as with any other pregnancy symptom, you always kind of just assume that it’s something that only happens to other pregnant women, but will never actually happen to you. But then the other day I sneezed.
No. I didn’t actually pee my pants. But, I was pretty darn close. This happened right after I’d read about this mom’s experience with incontinence during pregnancy and how the end result was smelling like that person on the subway that no one wants to sit next to.
So, in an effort to not be that person on public transit, I looked up some steps that a pregnant woman can take to keep this pants peeing thing from happening, or at least keep it to a minimum. This might be a little too real for some people, but seriously, so is pregnancy in general. Now I know why mom’s make such a big deal about carrying you for 9 months. It’s kinda weird and gross. Anyway, read more suggestions after the jump!
How To Keep Pants Peeing To a Minimum During Pregnancy:
1. Do your Kegels. Then do some more. (If you’re not sure how then just read this how-to article)
2. Take frequent bathroom breaks before you actually have to go. If you try to hold it for too long, it may not end well. Accept your limitations ladies.
3. Try to avoid excessive weight gain. Extra weight = extra pushing on your bladder, which = more pants peeing.
4. Avoid coffee, citrus, tomatoes and soda, which can irritate your bladder, leading to more leakage.
5. Cross your legs and/or do Kegels when you feel a sneeze, cough, laugh or basically just a strong breeze coming on….you know…just in case.
If all else fails you can always just buy those panty liners for the occasional leak, but let’s all hope you don’t have to, because I’m sure none of us wants to have to go to the store to buy anything with the word “panty” in it. Or maybe I’m just projecting. All I know is I’ll definitely be following this list. Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions! Friends don’t let friends pee their pants.
If you’re a first-time mom, you need to know these 10 Pregnancy Tips!