How to Make Changing a Diaper Funcaitlinhtp
I recently wrote a post called, “Ready, Set, Change!” on making diaper changing more bearable. But who just wants it to be bearable? Maybe diaper changing can be fun (please note that I said maybe, and by maybe, I meant, “more often than not”).
Here are a few ideas to making changing your baby or toddler’s diaper more fun.
- The Diaper Flashlight: One of the best suggestions that I read was to have a small “Diaper Flashlight” near your changing area. Allow your older baby or toddler to play with it while you change their diaper. Let them shine the light wherever they want or ask them to shine it at specific spots – “Light up the diaper! Now light up mommy’s hair!”
- Stretching and massage: Take diaper time as an opportunity to gently stretch your baby’s arms and legs and give her a little massage.
- Wind Chimes: In lieu of a mobile, hang a wind chime above the changing area and give it a tap when you begin. Your baby may love the melodic noises!
- Special toy: Keep a few ‘special toys’ near the changing area and only give them to your child during changing time. When the child is a bit older, offer them a choice of one of two of their special toys so they feel in control.
- Sing songs: Sing your baby a song – or make one up about diaper time. Bonus points for using the clean diaper as a microphone.
- Funny faces: Keep your child engaged by making funny faces or blowing raspberries on his belly.