I was reading an article this afternoon about a few women in New Zealand who are suing their doctors for the cost of raising their babies who were born after failed tubal ligations. And that’s when I remembered that I need to decide if I’m going to get my tubes tied after my c-section at the end of the summer.
I’ve heard stories of vasectomies that have still produced healthy enough sperm to create babies, but this is the first I’ve heard of women getting their tubes tied who still get pregnant afterward.
Which means the question about who goes under the knife to prevent the further growth of our family — me or my husband — just got a little more involved.
I’ve been on the pill for way too long and simply refuse to go back on after I give birth. I’m also opposed to sticking something up my arm or any other kind of scientifically induced birth control — enough is enough already. Since we’re not in high school (thank God) we’ve both already ruled out the thought of condoms for the next few decades. Which means we’re looking at abstinence, a tubal ligation or vasectomy.
I’m sure abstinence will be a way of life for the foreseeable future after the baby is born, particularly with a toddler running around the house already. But in the long term, it’s not a permanent solution.
I definitely know more people who’ve had vasectomies than their tubes tied. But there’s a part of me that feels as if I have an obligation to investigate it as much as I can, especially since my obstetrician will already be in there to take out my baby, and because my insurance deductible will already be paid for the year (I’d be lying if I said finances weren’t a factor in the decision).
I’m sure my recovery would be easier than my husband’s, and I’ve mostly heard that vasectomy recoveries are only bad for a few days afterward (give or take a few horror stories).
My husband says he feels like I’m having enough done to me with the c-section, and that the only thing we should be worried about when I check in to the hospital to give birth is giving birth. I’m inclined to agree, but I feel kind of guilty sending him off to get snipped when I’ll be in the perfect position to button things up myself, so to speak.
We have a couple more months to figure it out and if all things are really equal (you know, give or take, more or less), our decision might not be more academic than flipping a coin.
How do you decide which one of you goes under the knife? Do you have a strong preference either way? What do you know that I don’t that my husband and I should be taking into consideration?
Image: Wikimedia Commons