Push Presents: 5 Gifts New Moms Actually WantMichelle Horton
My neighbor left a few hours ago to be induced (10 days past her due date, poor thing), so I’ve had baby delivering on my mind all day. Thinking about my own labor and the subsequent weeks that followed, the concept of “push presents” came to mind.
I’ve know about the concept of push presents — gifts given to the new mom during labor or shortly after — but I’ve never known anyone to give or get them. Heck, after my baby was born it was another round of onesies and stuffed animals. But a lot of women are gifted diamonds for each birth, and while this writer was at first skeptical (as am I), she eventually realized that a push present was exactly what she wanted.
I guess I can see how this woman wanted a tangible reminder of that momentous event (the writer equates push presents with a wedding ring), but isn’t the baby tangible enough? I don’t know about you, but I wasn’t thinking about jewelry while I was delivering the placenta.
For those like me who would rather have something useful than materialistic, here are 5 “push presents” a new mom really wants:
1. Meal delivery. If a bunch of my family members decided to pitch in and coordinate meal deliveries with a site like Mealbaby.com, I would have been ecstatic.
2. Sanitary napkins, Tucks medicated pads, sitz bath…all wrapped up in a pretty bow, of course. Let’s be serious here, that’s all you want. I think romance left with the mucus plug.
3. A maid service. Yes, yes, yes — even if it’s just a temporary thing.
4. A spa gift certificate. My muscles ached in places I didn’t even know I had muscle. While I wasn’t able to go to a spa for quite some time (especially during the beginning of breastfeeding), the thought was promising. And when I did get to use it, I enjoyed the pampering like I never did before.
5. Video camera/digital camera. If you’re going to splurge on something, at least make it useful. And as a new mom, there’s not much more you want than to capture every moment. (See our favorite camcorders and digital cameras.)
Did you get a push present? What would you have liked to get after your delivery?