So tomorrow puts Caroline at the 25-week mark. And though this pregnancy, like most, has had its share of ups and downs, we’re really starting to hone in on the end result—our third little boy. But Caroline and I will be the first to admit, if we could push “fast forward” and zip right on up to July 20, we’d do it in a second. Because, well, while we love the little boy Caroline’s carrying in her belly, we’ve not always been so enamored by the actual pregnancy, itself.
But it’s time for me to turn that frown upside-down and offer up some quotes about the love that I have for this entire wacky process. (Caroline would write one, too, but we’re pretty sure that Babble frowns on profanity.) So, without further ado, here are 10 quotes detailing the little things I love about this pregnancy.
1. I love the way my wife’s belly button looks like the Geico Gecko pressing his face against a flesh-colored balloon.
2. I love the way Caroline always asks for me to rub her back before bed (which I faithfully do) yet screams disapprovingly whenever I accidentally touch her in the middle of the night.
3. I love that our bed has turned into a pillow farm.
4. I love that Caroline will kick my ass if I eat even one spoonful of the coveted ice cream. Even if we have three tubs of it.
5. I love Caroline’s cervix. See, last time it shortened drastically by week 27, so much so that she was put on bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy. This time? So far, so good. Yep. I love Caroline’s cervix. Every single one of those 38 millimeters!
6. I love that Caroline has NOT experienced any contractions yet. *knocks on wood* As these contractions render fewer millimeters of that cervix which I love, so.
7. I love that our children look at Caroline’s belly with awe.
8. I love when our 3-year-old girl marches up to Caroline tummy and says “Hello, in there,” to her unborn brother.
9. I love that Caroline loves a pre-bedtime handful of Tums.
10. I love that motherhood begins long before fatherhood. For there’s something magical about the sacrifices my favorite mom is making for a little fellow who has yet to even draw his first precious breath.
Grand Finale has a mom who is impossibly beautiful. On the outside? You bet. But what really blows me away is all that beauty on the inside. Even so, I’ll be ready 15 weeks from now when some of that inner beauty comes on out to join the rest of us.
But not as ready as Caroline!