You’ll end up paying more for rent in an apartment that does not have central AC, a washer/dryer or a dishwasher than most of your friends pay on their McMansion mortgages, for instance. It’s also likely that your child’s yearly preschool bill will cost more than a year at many colleges.
Those quibbles aside, I happen to think New York City is a fabulous place to have a child, and I’ve come up with 10 serious and not-so-serious reasons why (and one includes public nudity!).
1. There is an entire yoga studio devoted to prenatal yoga, and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a yoga practice that doesn’t offer prenatal, mommy and me or toddler yoga.
2. You will see every stroller known to parenting (U.S. and European) in action before you ever set foot in a giant baby store.
3. Your friends won’t throw you a baby shower at Applebee’s, Olive Garden or Outback Steakhouse.
4. Your white-knuckled husband or partner doesn’t have to drive you to the hospital. You can just hail a cab.
5. Making new mom friends is as easy as stepping out your front door and pushing your new cutie through the streets and to the park.
6. There are more than 1,700 parks, playgrounds and recreational facilities in the five boroughs.
7. Breastfeeding is totally legal: New York is the only state in the country where women can be topless legally (wherever men can be anyway). OK, breastfeeding is protected by law in 44 of the 50 states, but, hey, isn’t it fun to know you could just go topless in the park if you wanted to?
8. No matter how old you are, you will not be the oldest mom in the playgroup.
9. Your kid will never be bored. There are two museums devoted entirely to children, one to trains, and another to firefighting—more than 80 New York City museums in all, by my count.
10. Since 2005, New York City has had the lowest crime rate among the 10 largest cities in the U.S.
How about you? Why do you love having a baby in New York or any other big city.