Previous Post Next Post


Brought to you by

VBAC or C Section: The Question We've Been Dreading

By John Cave Osborne |

The million dollar question.

Caroline turns 29 weeks tomorrow. That, of course, leaves just 11, assuming she goes the distance. Believe it or not, thanks to what can best be described as some pathologically aggressive nesting tactics, we’re pretty much all set when it comes to the nursery. We’re good to go on baby-proofing as well.

So that leaves 11 weeks to ponder a very important matter: to VBAC or not to VBAC. That is the question.

Caroline’s first child, my beautiful stepdaughter, was born vaginally. And when we first found out Caroline was pregnant the time before this, there was no doubt in either of our minds. Vaginal birth was the way to go. But that all changed when we learned she was carrying triplets. At that point, Caroline’s doctor all but told her she’d be having a C-section.

Carrying triplets already put her in a high risk category. Her age (38 at the time) would have done the trick as well. Then you take into account my wife’s petite 5’2 frame? Yeah. C-section.

Caroline learned first hand with that C-section that major abdominal surgeries are nothing to sneeze at. They’re hardcore, invasive processes. Despite being in excellent physical condition, it took her quite some time to recuperate. Frankly, it wasn’t pleasant.

Neither, however, are VBACs gone wrong. The chances, no matter how remote, of uterine rupture? They can be frightening.

So what to do? There are compelling arguments on both sides, which, at least initially, surprised Caroline. After all, it wasn’t very long ago that “once a C-section, always a C-section” was the common thought. But as pointed out yesterday in an excellent feature slide show on Babble, that’s nothing more than a myth. (Learn about 10 other pregnancy myths that Babble debunked by visiting the slide show now!)

Last July, Ceridwen wrote an excellent post in the wake of an announcement made by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). The College was softening its original and cautious stance on VBACs and were encouraging doctors support a woman’s choice to try for such a birth.

Ceridwen correctly points out that the question of VBAC vs. repeat C is an incredibly hard one to answer. In trying to do so, risk must be assessed. Yet even when you do just that, it’s still hard to find a clear-cut answer. Consider this stat, again, courtesy of Ceridwen’s post:

According to the numbers ACOG is using, if you try for a VBAC, you have about a 99.2 percent chance of no uterine rupture (lower without induction). If you have a c-section, you have about a 99.5 percent chance of no uterine rupture. That would make the chance of a uterine rupture with a repeat c-section and VBAC without induction about the same. But with a c-section, you have the added risks of surgery.

I would counter Ceridwen’s last point with this one. Along with the added risk of the c-section surgery would come one significant benefit: opting for a repeat C would take a lot of mental anguish off of Caroline’s plate now. And that has to be considered, as well.

We were hoping to lean on Caroline’s OB/GYN to more or less make the decision for us, but he made it clear from the get go that he would do no such thing. (Which is a sign that he’s a true pro. He recognizes it’s not his decision to make.) However, he has been more than willing to discuss pros and cons with us and, like Ceridwen, he could argue all day long for both sides.

At the end of that day, however, we get the sense that he just as soon see Caroline opt for the repeat C. And I’m pretty sure I know why. Last pregnancy was a grueling one for her. It proved to be quite heady as well. And by the end of it she was spent, both emotionally and physically. This pregnancy wasn’t exactly a piece of cake either, thanks in large part to the psychological elements which accompany an unexpected pregnancy as well as the fact that while pregnant, Caroline’s been constantly bombarded by three fussy toddlers every step of the way. Don’t forget our 9-year-old, either.

So it’s been more trying than either one of us could have ever imagined. And Caroline’s constantly exhausted. And while I’m not suggesting that she’s too tired to research the matter (for anyone who knows her would tell you just the opposite—this is something she’s been taking very seriously), I am suggesting this: the last thing either of us want to see is for my wife to agonize over this for 10 weeks, finally opt for a VBAC, only to then fall into the category of the 20 to 40% of women who try for VBACs, but are ultimately forced to have a C-section.

And, again, I get the sense that her OB/GYN feels the same way. But he’d never come right out and say it. For I’m certain he’s 100% with Ceridwen when she writes this:

I think the decision about whether or not to VBAC is something we have to leave up to each woman. She should be well-informed rather than freaked out and/or pressured by various agendas, and she should find a doctor or midwife who supports her decision, whatever it is.

One comforting thing about the decision Caroline has to make? She’s got an incredible OB/GYN (even if he does have the hots for her—don’t worry, I’m cool with it…) and he’d support either decision 100%. As, obviously, would I. And through this process she’s become quite informed.

And for all of those reasons, whatever she chooses will most definitely be the right decision, indeed.

Image: stock.xchng

Real Birthing Stories: Parents share their childbirth experiences

More on Babble

About John Cave Osborne


John Cave Osborne

John Cave Osborne is a writer whose work has appeared on such sites as Babble, TLC, YahooShine, and the Huffington Post. John went from carefree bachelor to father of four in just 13 months after marrying a single mom, then quickly conceived triplets. Since then, they have added one more to the mix, a little boy they named Grand Finale. Read bio and latest posts → Read John's latest posts →

« Go back to Pregnancy

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Comments, together with personal information accompanying them, may be used on and other Babble media platforms. Learn More.

0 thoughts on “VBAC or C Section: The Question We've Been Dreading

  1. Bonnie says:

    Maybe this is a stupid question, but does the fact that her last pregnancy was triplets make a difference? Like, because her uterus was more stretched out/strained?

  2. Monica says:

    Okay, so this comment is coming from a successful vbac mom (just had my vbac 3 months ago). I had two vaginal deliveries before my c-section with no complications. The reason for my c-section was because my son was breech. In all honesty the risk of uterine rupture is something like 1% chance of it happening and that could happen at any point in pregnancy, not just during delivery. My doctor told me 3 1/2 years ago when I had my c-section that I would be the perfect candidate for a vbac. At that time I did not think I’d be having anymore children, but when I did get pregnant I knew I wanted to vbac. I was monitored much more closely in the hospital because at the sign of any distress they would have gone for the c-section. My doctor told me she only saw a uterine rupture happen once in her time as an OB/GYN and mom and baby came out of it just fine. So given your wife’s reason for the previous c-section and the fact that she has delivered vaginally before I honestly think she could be successful at a vbac and I would highly recommend giving it a try. Sure the consent forms are scary, but they are no more scary than the consent form for a c-section. Risk to mom is most definitely greater with a c-section than a vbac too. Ultimately it is yours and your wife’s choice, but this is just my two cents on the situation. I knew I wanted to avoid surgery if I could as the recovery really was that much more difficult. Good luck with whatever you do decide. Ultimately the goal is a healthy mom and baby. So no matter how you decide to have your baby it will be great.

  3. AnnieM says:

    Having had a C/S first baby, then a VBAC second…the third pregnancy was an easy decision for me considering I had a 2 year old and 5 year old at home. VBAC is SOOOO much easier afterwards to recover from. SO much easier to parent the other children at home afterwards.
    I would highly recommend a VBAC if you feel comfortable with it too. My VBAC births were wonderful too, I think, because both times I had an OB who was VERY SUPPORTIVE of my decision to VBAC. He made me feel good about what my uterus was capable of :-)
    And he was right!!

  4. eb says:

    I know two triplet VBAC moms, including one who had her VBAC, three boys, 6 weeks ago. She is a tiny thing too, about 5 feet tall. Please let me know if you’d like to be in touch with either of those moms.

  5. mommy2boys says:

    It sounds like you’ve already made your decision, and way past it now, but I really don’t even feel its a “decision” to make. Why not let your child decide when its ready, and labor start itself, nature take its course so to speak… a c/s is always still an option when needed… but that’s just my feelings. I had a c/s, then vbac & it was one of the best things I’ve ever done. But, I’ve never experienced multiples, I’m sure it adds more stress. But I do recommend your wife read Ina May’s book and watch the Business of Being Born.

  6. mommy2boys says:

    Sorry I also wanted to add I think with the reason for her previous c/s, her chanceof successful vbac is at least 80%, probably more. My drs said 75-80% for me, and I had failure to progress (stalled dilation), but really failed induction to me. Anyways GOOD LUCK whatever you decide.

  7. Erin says:

    My OB has made it clear that he is pro c-section because if I vbac it will be after having 2 c-sections prior. Between my two sections I had a vbac with my second pregnancy which at one moment he was telling me I could have at least a trial of labor after c-section….now after having a bout of false labor the nurse at the hospital say regardless of how my labor is going when the real labor happens I still will be sectioned……
    I now feel like going to the hospital might not be a good choose for me.. or if I go it will be when the baby is crowning. So they can’t say, section. I’m 35 weeks and my babies all have come before 38 weeks. I have a box in my house put together with all I would need to have baby at home. I feel as if I’m putting on armor to go into battle. Any advice would be good…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.

Previous Post Next Post