Janet Ong Zimmerman, one of the love experts at YourTango, has compiled a list of questions you should ask yourself before you commit to a long-term relationship with someone you’ve been casually dating. She says, “Instead of rushing to do so, first determine your reasons for actually wanting to be in a committed relationship. Reasons based on any variation of, “I’m tired of being single. I’m sick of dating. I’m getting older so I’d better get married soon. What if I don’t find someone better?” mean he’s not the one you really want.”
To find out if he (or she) is the one you really want, ask yourself the following:
1. Do I like how he treats me?
2. Am I a priority in his life?
3. Does he respect me?
4. Do I feel safe around him?
5. Does he accept me for who I am?
6. Am I being my authentic self around him?
7. Can I express myself freely when difficult situations come up?
8. Do I feel secure when we’re together and when we’re not together?
9. Does he inspire me to be the best version of myself?
10. Is he encouraging and supportive of what I want in life?
11. Do I like him the way he is if he never changes?
12. Am I having fun with him?
13. Do my family and friends like him?
14. Do I like his family and friends?
15. Can I see us growing old together?
16. Does he treat his family well?
17. Does he treat others well?
18. Is he patient with me?
19. Does he bring out the best in me?
20. Does he have any red flags?
Believe it or not, these are less than half of the questions Zimmerman says you should ask yourself before committing to a long-term relationship with someone. To view the rest of her excellent and exhaustive list, visit YourTango.