Celebrity relationships and marriages seem like they are here today…and gone tomorrow. I would imagine some have as many ex-spouses as they do starring roles in movies. It’s unfortunate and really sad to me.
But there are some couples who have managed to live in the public eye and still keep their marriage in tact. Sadly, successful marriages don’t get as much publicity as failed marriages in Hollywood.
Marriage is tough when nobody knows you…
My wife and I celebrated 12 years of marriage this summer. Although we can now say our marriage is the B.O.M.B., we can also say our marriage has not been without it’s challenges.
We aren’t on TV or in movies (although if me writing for Babble lands me a voice over role in the next Disney blockbuster I won’t complain), and live somewhat private lives. So when we mess up, everybody doesn’t hear about it when they turn on their computers, phones, or TV. Nonetheless our challenges are real.
I wonder if marriage is tougher when everybody knows you…
We go to the store looking crazy, and even acting crazy sometimes. But it doesn’t make any headlines. Celebrities go to the store just looking crazy and the headlines tomorrow may read they are depressed because their marriage is on the rocks. That sounds outlandish, but it’s probably not far from the truth.
I can only imagine when almost every thing you do is scrutinized and reflects upon your relationship. It would be like “real” reality TV.
Celebrity couples who deserve kudos
The challenges celebrities face due to living public lives makes it even more special when a couple stays together in spite of it. I want to give them a virtual high five and say keep representing a positive image of marriage and family as best you can!
Below are some celebrity marriages who have been married for at least 25 years. Go ahead and give them a virtual high five as well! A few of them are favorite actors of mine.
- Denzel and Pauletta Washington (29 years) – Denzel is probably my favorite actor, and an academy award winner. His philosophy is “acting is just a way of making a living, the family is life.“
- Billy and Janice Crystal (42 years) – Billy is a very funny dude, so I’m sure he brings plenty of comedy in his marriage. His reason why they are still married? “She puts lead in my shoes and doesn’t let me fly off the earth. And it’s always been that way.“
- Jerry Stiller and Anna Meara (58 years) – Parents of Ben Stiller, and some funny people themselves. Maybe laughter is one of the keys to staying together, as Jerry wrote a book about it, Married to Laughter: A Love Story Featuring Ann Meara.
- Samuel Jackson and LaTanya Richardson (32 years) – After all the roles Samuel Jackson has played, the quote I will remember most is “Honey, where’s my super suit?” (The Incredibles) is the quote I now remember him most for, of course it was followed by his wife after a brief exchange saying, “Greater good? I am your wife! I’m the greatest good you are ever gonna get!” I wonder if that was an ad-lib from the Jackson and Richardson house!
- Bill and Camille Cosby (48 years) – There is a theme so far. The couples married long are funny people. Laughter has to be the key! I’m sure Bill was using some of the lessons he learned in his real marriage to create the model married couple on The Cosby Show. Still one of my favorite sitcoms.
Click here to see 16 more couples still married and featured in the Huffington Post.
If you are married please share how many years you’ve been married below in the comment section.
More on relationships from Jackie: