Mom

By Monica Bielanko |

Careful parents! Your children might turn gay just buy seeing this ad!

I try to ignore this hateful homophobic crap, I try to tell myself homophobes and bigots are a dying breed but it just doesn’t seem to be the case.

The One Million Moms who tried to get JC Penney to kick Ellen Degeneres to the curb are at it again. As Jezebel reports, the hateful, homophobic group have their giant mom panties in a twist over a new JC Penney ad featuring *gasp* lesbians.

Look Moms Who Hate Gays, if even Bill O’Reilly ain’t on your side it’s time to park your minivans and call it a day on the gay hating. Not that O’Reilly is some kind of saint. He recently decried the television show Glee because he figures watching it will turn kids gay in the same way watching James Dean made him want to smoke. Because your sexual preference and smoking are so similar. And because being gay and being harassed by the likes of the One Million Moms and O’Reilly seems, like, so totally appealing and stuff!

So yeah, the One Million Moms. You’ll remember how they called for a JC Penney boycott when the store dared hire Ellen Degeneres who is not only a lesbian but also maybe the most likable woman on the planet. Now the group has lost their damn minds over a lesbian couple featured in the store’s May catalog. The ad features Wendi with her mom, partner and daughters with the words “freedom of expression” over the picture.

Quelle horreur!

And the horror doesn’t end there. It actually depicts the lesbians and their kid as a happy family. Happy? How can that be? They’re gay, the One Million Moms want to know.

Nonetheless, according to the ad “You’ll often find Wendi, her partner, Maggie, and daughters elbow-deep in paint, clay or mosaics,” the ad reads. Further on it explains that Wendi’s mother is an artist with a gallery in Granbury, Texas, and reiterates that the picture is of “Wendi with her mom Carolyn, daughters Raven and Clover, and partner Maggie.”

You can imagine the heads of One Million Moms spinning in unison. So the boycott is back on!

OMM ended the J.C. Penney boycott in March after the company and millions of other Americans came out in defense of the choice to use DeGeneres as a spokesperson. But now the group states on its website that it has “no choice but…to revisit this issue and speak out again.”

You know, because What Would Jesus Do and stuff… And Jesus would totally hate on people, right?

After the jump, read the full concerns of OMM regarding the ad including their demand that J.C. Penney remain neutral in this cultural war on gays. (Courtesy of DallasVoice.com)

WARNING: If you are a rational human being this letter will BLOW YOUR MIND.

Don’t Count Your JCP Chickens Before They Hatch

JC Penney has laid low in the month of April by airing two different commercials that portrayed them as remaining neutral in the cultural war. Even though JCP seemed to have changed their approach, their May catalog shows they are making a strong effort otherwise. On pages ten and eleven, under the title “Freedom of Expression,” you’ll find “Wendi and her partner Maggie and daughters” and again “Wendi, daughters Raven and Clover, and partner Maggie” in text. In the picture both women are wearing wedding bands.

Families who once supported JCP and hold open store credit cards or are on their mailing list received the May catalog yesterday. Today, customers are able to view the May catalog online on the JC Penney website under May books. (Click on image for larger view)

OMM has so many issues to cover we had no choice but to move on earlier in the year but have decided to revisit this issue and speak out again. It is obvious that JCP would rather take sides than remain neutral. JCP will hear from the other side so they need to hear from us as well.

Last time OMM contacted JC Penney store managers, we were brushed off. Some even experienced in person the store manager saying “Thank you” and walking off while their customer and our concerned members were in mid-sentence. OMM has been told that JCP corporate office told store managers to say “Thank you” and then walk away. If they want our business, then we will not be ignored!

The store managers are the ones who can communicate to corporate for their customers. Managers will not want to be in the middle so when we politely express our concern to them, they should realize that they are the ones taking all the complaints and corporate is not having to answer for the decisions they are making. Managers will pass along customers’ frustrations, and their own, to corporate because they will likely get tired of their game. Managers will also have to answer to corporate for the loss in sales from traditional families, so we will give them the proof they need to back this up when we tell them we will no longer be able to shop with them until they take a neutral stand.

TAKE ACTION

Since the corporate office doesn’t consider your call important, please call, or visit, your local store manager. Local managers are more likely to listen to your concerns and pass them along to the corporate office.

Please be kind when you ask them to tell corporate that they should remain neutral in the cultural war. What was the purpose in stating on page eleven that Wendi and Maggie are partners?

You can find the phone number of your local store here, or in your local phone directory.

Normally, OMM has a prewritten letter ready to send from our email server, but JCP blocks emails from our server. You may send your own email to: jcpcorpcomm@jcpenney.com.

NOTE: If you see a commercial or program which is offensive, email us the information. Many of you have done this, and it is very helpful.

Holy crap. What hateful lunacy. Sounds like another J.C. Penney shop-in is in order. WHO’S WITH ME?

You can also find Monica on her personal blog, The Girl Who.

Read more from Monica on Strollerderby:

80s Flashback! Totally Rad Cartoons (and Theme Songs) You Grew Up With

This Is Supposed to Make Me Want to Breastfeed? YIKES!

8 Weird But Wonderful Baby Products.

About Monica Bielanko

monica-bielanko

Monica Bielanko

Monica Bielanko was raised on the wild frontier of late 1970's Utah. She is a recovering Mormon who married the guitar player of an unknown band. She's been married to her Babble Voices writing partner, Serge Bielanko, for the past nine years. Her personal blog, The Girl Who was in the top ten of last year's Top 50 list. Read bio and latest posts → Read Monica's latest posts →

« Go back to Mom

58 thoughts on “One Million Mom Homophobes at it Again, Outraged Over JC Penney Ad Featuring Lesbians

1. goddess says:

One Million Moms makes me sick.The hate they spew is horrible- and how are we ever going to stop the bullying of GLBT people with them bringing more up spoon fed on this hate. Religion my arse.

2. Karyn Climans says:

I’m liking JCPenny more and more each day!

3. Mellie says:

I’m in for a shop-in!!! What absolute absurdity. I will never understand how people hate in the name of God. I’m Not much of a JCP shopper, but it looks like I need to take my “traditional” family on a JCP shopping trip in support of equality for EVERYONE! Maybe I’ll even thank a local manager!

4. goddess says:

Actually Melle- just kiss a girl. Just for the heckuvit!

5. whithonea says:

“Please be kind when you ask them to tell corporate that they should remain neutral in the cultural war.”

This makes me want to work at JCP just to walk away from these kind, hate-filled ladies.

6. The Mommy Psychologist says:

Homophobia is not a dying breed. It is alive and well. Check out the next blog in strollerderby with the preacher spewing hate and telling the congregation to punch their sons for “acting gay.” Appalling…

“The child psychologist who thought she had all the answers to parenting until she became one herself.” http://www.themommypsychologist.com

7. Meagan says:

So cool! (the catalogue, not the letter). I think I get why they’re outraged though. The Ellen thing was idiotic, she’s a celebrity talkshow host, a household name. Protesting that brought far more attention (and sympathy) to gay rights than ignoring it would have. This is a little different. JC Penny’s is featuring a gay family in positive light (which is friggin awesome), not just a celebrity spokesperson who is also outspoken about being gay. I’m really not surprised that the group is upset about this round, and I’ll bet they get more support this time. After all, (nearly) everyone loves Ellen, but this will be seen as rubbing their Christian noses in the gay lifestyle- its much more provocative (sadly).

So yeah, I think another shop in is a great idea. If they do get more homophobic voices this time, it’s even more important to show support for Penny’s awesome choice to be vocally gay friendly!

8. Veronica H. says:

Yeah, I think a shop-in is a great idea! I am a Christian, but just cannot wrap my mind around the hatred. I usually don’t shop JCP, but think I will start.

9. jennifer says:

10. Diera says:

I will just never, never get this. I mean, I’m pro-choice, but at least in that case I understand why someone with different views on when live begins would be troubled by abortion. But who looks at happy people with happy well-cared-for kids and thinks THIS MUST BE STOPPED?

11. Imadylle Bais says:

they do it in all the wrong way.. and by the way Jesus never hates people. He loves us that’s why He died for us. And He died for the SINNER not the saint… He will save the SINNER!!!! NOT the saints… okay.. hope that one there is already clarified.. OMM i think you better think first before complaining.. if you are not in favor of gay marriages, please not this way.. it will never lead you to anything..

12. Maggie says:

I guess if OMM wants JCP to be “neutral” about gay marriage or gay parenting then from now on all their kids’ ads will need to be parent-free, right? Because if they show only hetero families that’s obviously not neutral, is it?

13. Linda, T.O.O. says:

No one died for me. That’s idiotic and I’m sick of having it shoved down my throat. Good for JC Penney. We should all stand up against hate groups, and religious beliefs that impact the lives and happiness of others. I’m so sick of this crap being treated as sacrosanct. It’s not.

14. Melissa says:

I’m a Christian too and I find this – as well as One Million Moms in general – to be ridiculous. The God I love and serve does not condone hate. There is not one of us on this earth who has the authority to judge another. These actions of these women – and related groups – give ALL Christians a bad name. We are not all like that and some of us truly believe in love and equality for all.

15. Mellie says:

@Goddess Great idea! Im on my way to Jcp right now to hug a manager, buy something and kiss a girl! Now thats a protest!

16. goddess says:

We need to have a kiss-in. I’m not gay, but I’m willing to kiss a girl and support my gay sisters (and brothers).

17. bunnytwenty says:

“Assuming homophobes are a dying breed, why would a store cater to them? Instead appeal to the majority of us who support equality for all!”
    Indeed! This is, in fact, an awesome marketing strategy – I can’t remember the last time I even thought about the existence of JC Penney. This is a great way to brand themselves and get people in the doors, buying clothes. Obviously they’ve done their homework and realize that most Americans, regardless of what these idiots at OMM would like to believe, think that all loving families are a beautiful thing, regardless of the gender of the parents.

18. k says:

I wish OMM would show some freakin’ outrage about truly terrible things that are happening to children around the world. I’m sorry but as a MOTHER, I feel such outrage at things like child slavery, starving children, etc. As a christian, this is what I would love to work hard at stopping NOT A CLOTHING CATALOG.

19. Manjari says:

Good for JC Penney! OMM is just another example of why I won’t touch religion with a ten foot pole.

20. Carmen says:

Homophobia: -n. intense hatred or fear of homosexuals or homosexuality.

I have neither an intense hatred nor a fear of homosexuals, but that certainly doesn’t mean that I agree with nor endorse homosexual activity. It seems to me it’s the liberal left that states that anything that doesn’t agree with their way of thinking is automatically “hateful” and should be banished. Welcome to 1984.

21. ChristopherHitchensFan says:

@Carmen- Yes, ‘homophobia’. If these 1 million nitwits weren’t scared of it, they wouldn’t be going to the trouble of calling for a boycott. And exactly what ‘homosexual activity’ is depicted in this ad? Also: Precisely how self-righteous are you, to believe that it’s your place to agree with or ‘endorse’ someone else’s way of life? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that it is merely that: An opinion. It’s ironic that you mention ‘agreeing with their way of thinking’, but in reference to the ‘liberal left’ (the non-bigots). In reality, the root cause of all of this is the far right-wingers who insist on imposing their ‘way of thinking’ on the rest of America. Keep it to yourself…. you’re free to be a bigot, the rest of of should enjoy similar freedoms.

22. Amie says:

“If they want our business, then we will not be ignored!” Ahhh yeah OMM looks like JCP already has, and will continue too. Ignore you that is. Soooooo
    “Thank You” LOL

23. Jen says:

I just took that email address off that letter and wrote JCP a letter saying how very impressed I am with this ad, and their new overall image all together. I think they should hear from us who actually like what they are doing, so it outweighs all the negative I am sure they are hearing from this OMM group.

24. Manjari says:

What ChristopherHitchensFan said!

25. Linda, T.O.O. says:

“Also: Precisely how self-righteous are you, to believe that it’s your place to agree with or ‘endorse’ someone else’s way of life?” That was perfect!

26. Esbee says:

gays have fought long and hard to have their rights and be accepted as just another life style choice…their claims of ” i can’t help I was born this way and who I love” are now more accepted than from many years ago when they were called sinful, unlawful and mentally aberrant. BUT another group now considered sinful, unlawful and mentally aberrant is on the horizon wanting their rights to also be accepted as just another lifestyle choice for the same reasons that they “can’t help they were born this way and who they love”—those who want to have sex with children and animals.

27. lam says:

Esbee, give us all a break from this crap. Children and animals can’t give legal consent, gay adults can. It’s a pretty obvious difference.

28. Stephanie says:

These one million moms are sounding more and more ignorant as the days go by! They are a prime example as to why our children are being raised into a judgmental, rude and vile world! It’s immature.

29. Kaygels says:

Oh my gosh. One Million Moms…grow the fuck up! They must be so bored with their own lives and hating themselves for having crappy marriages that they have to play “GOD” in who can love each other and who can’t. Get over it. There are going to be lesbians and gay men no matter what you say. I’m not a lesbian by any means, but I would make out with a woman right in front of all of you. Love is beautiful and pure. No matter what gender you are, or what gender you are with. You can not help who you fall in love with. Nobody can. Just let people be happy. Is it really, TRULY affecting YOUR life and how YOU live? NO. Just GTFO.

30. Kalee says:

Let Ellen and everyone else who is a happy being who there alone. They are not taking from you. If you don’t like it go shop else where. There is enough hatred in this world, we don’t need people like you to make it worst. Let them ALONE, bitch.

31. Kalee says:

32. Kalee says:

Let me touch, so that you can turn gay overnite

33. Valerie says:

34. Valerie says:

The hate needs to stop! Lesbians and gays are everywhere they have been everywhere before we all got here its not like people in this century was like hey ill think ill be gay today! Its just a lot more open then it was in the old days! I comend women and men who can stand for what they believe in gay and or straight! So to the people who did this advertisement thanx you for being out of the box! I’m definitely shopping at jcps now!

35. Amber says:

My son saw this and bought the purple dress.

36. hayley stevens says:

Unbelievable…. They obviously don’t have bigger and numerous more issues to be taking care of if they are back at this again. Let people be and if they aren’t hurting anyone while trying to live a happy life then what should these women care. How can anyone see this ad and not think how naturally happy they look??! I would much rather see a happy homosexual couple with their children happily together than a anorexic model who is in clothing that would not look like a real woman! Sorry OMM this IS today’s family whether you like it of not- straight gay men women a family who loves each other! I would shop at a store that advertises this way before any other ANY day! I love the idea of the shop in- and the kiss! Hah wouldn’t that twist their knickers more!

Get over it!!!!! Don’t they have a homecooked meal to prepare for their 9-5 working husband, 2.5 kids after feeding their dog and cat in their white picket fenced yard!!!

I’m going to church tomorrow and praying for more rights for my gay friends right before I pray for these women who need something better to do with their time!!!

37. Angela says:

Esbee- seriously? People who “can not control” the fact that they want to have sex with children and animals are sick. They hurt people, or animals- over and over again. Its completely separate from two grown adults, making adult decisions, to spend their life with some one of the same sex- and no, I do not believe homosexuality is a choice. However, thank goodness for JCP and their choice to recognize that there are now all different types of families! OMM should be embarrassed that they call themselves the “one million moms” – I am a mom and my friends who are also moms do not share the same views as these people. I really wish people like that would actually find something better to do with their time- like parent their children and teach equality and compassion or simple respect, rather than teach hate to their children.

38. Alexis says:

I think this is crazy!!!! I am a mother and honestly I see nothing wrong with this ad….they are showing pictures of a HAPPY FAMILY….not anything that should offend anyone…..in my opinion….if you don’t like it don’t look at it go on to the next page…..omm needs to grow up!!!! & stop worrying about something so insignificant…..there are many other REAL issues like child abuse & so on

39. rani says:

idiotic!!!! I love JC Penny even more!!!! There clothes rock and last and I love what they are doing! Thanks JCP for taking a stand! And right on LAM! Having sex with kids or animals can’t be compared to any lifestyle for the very reason that they cannot give consent.

40. cheylene says:

I, as a christian, am tired of people saying that I “hate” gays. And to say things like preachers telling parents to punch theire sons if they are gay, this is ridiculous and not the norm in a christian church. That sounds more liek a cult. As a christian, I love homosexuals just like i love any other sinner. I myself am a sinner in need of God’s grace and forgiveness-I am no better than any of you. However, this is not an excuse for us to keep sinning! We as christians do not hate homosexuals but we also do not agree with their lifestyle just like we dont agree with other sinful lifestyles.

41. Angela says:

I can say that there is no room for homosexuality in my personal beliefs, but I don’t force that on others. While it’s not right for me, it’s also not my place to judge. In my view, homosexuality is wrong, but hate it more wrong. Let it go everyone.

42. LG says:

Just sent an email to that corporate email address in SUPPORT of their tastefully done ad!

43. Tamara K says:

(This was also my comment to the post on Facebook) Props to JC Penney for showing there are all different varieties of families. We all need to wear clothes don’t we? (Unless of course you belong to a nudist colony lol) OMM needs to realize that the people in the modern world are very diverse, and boycotting a store simply because they show a family different from their own is just ridiculous, small minded and bigoted. It’s no different than showing an African-American family, are you gonna boycott them for that too?

44. Charlene says:

Honestly, if OMM wants to praise “traditional” families or “values” shouldn’t be pushing ads for selling teens clothing with maternity options. Cause the “traditional” families are just so proud of their morals and stand up american pride… Pfft. Happiness is happiness in my book, doesnt matter what the sex is. Sounds like to me OMM has chased their family away and got bored, so decided to pick on a great family with beautiful children because they can’t seem to do the same. Jealousy, is what I’d call it.

45. Charlene says:

46. WildernessBarbie says:

Esbee- Seriously? You’re equating two adults in a consensual relationship to that of a child molester or animal abuser? What about someone who’s into Necrophilia? Two adults of sound mind are legally and mentally capable of entering into a sexual relationship with another similar person. A child, cow, toaster, or corpse are not able to give informed consent (nor will they be having parades advocating for their rights to do so) and thus will never be considered equal. Sheesh, you’ve got to be a troll…

47. WildernessBarbie says:

By the way… I have yet to hear any legitimate reason, backed up by actual evidence, as to how one persons choice in partners has any negative effect on anyone else, ever! Is your marriage that fragile that the gay couple at church is in danger of sending you to divorce court? Heterosexual couples we know who get a divorce, cheat, have “open marriages” or are abusive to each other have an impact… but my gay neighbors who’ve been together for 12 blissful years? Nothin’ but good stuff there.

48. H.B. says:

Thanks for including the email address, I just sent them a letter letting them know I’ll be doing all my family’s summer and back-to-school shopping there this year! What a great company. One million homophobic imbeciles can kiss my ass.

49. Ashley says:

NC voted today. Even though it may be politically correct and even trendy, it’s not supported by the majority.

I don’t hate gays but I disapprove of their actions just like I don’t hate someone having an affair with a married man. I don’t approve of their actions but I don’t love that person any less.

Does anyone else find it the least but strange that you are fighting for free speech and acceptance in the same breath that you are bashing those who disagree with your views?

50. Rebecca says:

I Love Jcpenney. This add takes the cake. Such a pretty layout. Women and daughters. Who cares about their sexuality it doesn’t make them bad people. Judging makes us bad, but then I guess it’s difficult or shall I say easier to judge others instead of our selves.

51. bonnie p says:

Wow, arent there underpriviledged children to clothe and feed or something? Why would one milllion moms band together to encourage hatred? If you dont like it, dont pick it up and look at it.. i have been so put off by religious b.s. i will never be a christian again. How about that for protest? And i support jcpenny so much that i will now shop there exclusively. Hate is for ugly people so i have no time for it.

52. Charlene says:

Maybe it’s becuase I don’t think like a homophobe but I don’t see this as a “Lesbian” ad. Is there something that I’m missing? I see a group of women (daughters, moms, aunts, grandmas) who are happy to be together. Again, what am I missing?

53. Stacy says:

Go JC Penny! OMM, why are u so concerned about a happy couple raising healthy, happy kids??? I am a mother of a 15mo. old & all ur doing is sending the message that hate is ok if someone dosn’t fit into your ideals of what he or she should or shouldn’t be. COME ON, your a mother’s group, u should be uniting to help starving kids or abused kids, not protesting against a happy, healthy family. Seriously, grow up OMM!!! JC Penny gets even more of my support now.

54. Christina says:

Though I in no way condone what OMM are doing, I wonder whether all the pictures/ads label the family members the same way (i.e. Dick and his wife Jane with their children Wren and Stimpy)? I don’t get the catalog, rarely shop at JC Penny and could care less what their advertising strategies are but if they’re specifically pointing out gay/lesbian couples maybe they are just looking for publicity and, therefore, are getting what they want. Again, maybe they do label all pictures/ads in the same manner, it was just a question that came to mind.

55. Caroline says:

One million sadly misguided mothers – too bad for JC Penney, but it’ll probably backfire on those wretched Moms in the end. What rocks did they crawl out from under? Do they all live in North Carolina by chance??

56. charity says:

@Charlene if you blow up the picture you’ll see a little blurb about the family. It says the word partner.

Someone should start OMOM. One million other mom’s to balance out the evil.

57. Angela says:

So I guess OMM boycotted Finding Nemo then… riiiiggghhhhht?

58. Kaylen says:

One million idiots more like it. “What was the purpose of stating they are partners?” Because GLBT families exist, idiots. They exist in the world and shop at JCPenny as well.

I would gladly organize a shop-in in my area, please pass me the information so I can help with this effort. I personally will be spending as much of my family’s shopping money at JCPenney as I can in order to support them in their efforts to be a support to GLBT families everywhere.